Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: "Define Error Handling" Option in Steps

Default "Define Error Handling" Option in Steps

How does error handling for failed record works. I want to define a step push all failed rows to that step in a transformations. How to achieve this?
    I saw this "Define Error Handling" property for some steps (actually very few). This seems to be useful.

Any details/pointers on this? Is there anything on roadmap?

"define error handling" is step specific. A step can use an extra hop on which it can put rows on that it contains to be in error. Javascript has it, most of the database steps, ...

Which other steps would you want it on and why?

Regards,
    Sven

true - a step can use additional hop to redirect the error rows. But the Error Handling setting has things such as

Typically when an error happens, I would like to redirect the row to another file with additional field that has error reason.
    Also, I would like to specify that if more than 50% or more than 20000 rows fail, fail the transformation itself.

These kind of settings seem to be there in the "Error handling Settings" tab enabled for few steps.

Do you some documentation pointing to this feature?

There's a section on it in the spoon user guide.

On input files e.g. the error handling can't really be implemented as on failure you may not have the right number of columns to make a row. The error code in the output depends on the step.

Regards,
    Sven