Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: DI 3.0 Crashes on OS X

Default DI 3.0 Crashes on OS X

This is a cross post from:

http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread...339#post178339

I am reposting here since this is where it really belongs.

Essentially DI 3.0 is almost unuseable on Mac OS X. It crashes when a different object field is selected in the GUI.

Bill

It all works fine on my Tiger box. It seems the new and shiny Leopard OS is at the root cause of the problems.

Matt

Default Same issues

I'm having the exact same issues on OS X (10.4.11 w/ relevant updates). PDI crashes like crazy. I've resorted to running it in on a Windows XP vm using Parallels.

"Crashes like crazy" does beg for some explanation.
    Can you refer me to a bug report for example?

Make sure to apply the December Java5 update from Apple: http://www.ibridge.be/?p=91

Matt

Default This might help

Here's what I did:

- started spoon
    - selected New > Trasformation
    - dropped a Generate Rows onto the canvas
    - double clicked the Generate Rows
    - resized the dialog (inital size is screwy)
    - clicked on the Name field of the first row, entered something
    - without clicking enter, clicked on the Type field in the same row
    - crashed immediately, with the attached report

Things are pretty much the same when you interact with any dialog. This is on a brand new MacBook Pro with all the official Apple updates, and the standard (updated) VM that ships with Leopard. Looks like an underlying SWT (or use-of) problem, but eclipse and other swt-based apps sure doesn't behave like this.

M. Kahn
    Attached Files Attached Files

If it would just be SWT, why is it working fine on Tiger? As stated before, it shows up on Leopard. I'm not so sure that "all the latest patches" is all that recent with regards to Leopard anyway :-)

That being said, the crash trace is interesting, perhaps I can do something with it to patch the problem.

Cheers,

Matt

Talking Need any new data?

Matt,

Do you need any additional information? I have not changed anything (new PDI build) except Apple's OS patches.

Funny thing, BTW, I am using the copy table wizard at an Informatica customer that cannot move data between two instances of Oracle (QA, Prod). They were wondering how I was doing it and I have pointed them to the PDI product site. Hopefully, they will get the message and stop investing the several millions $$ that have been spent on Informatica.

Bill

Sorry, I don't have Leopard to test with. And from the things I've read all over the web, I'm not going to upgrade anytime soon.
    Perhaps someone else can give it a try

All the best,

Matt