Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Pentaho JBoss Portal !

Default Pentaho JBoss Portal !

I created a portal in Pentaho JBoss portal, added a page/window, assigned portlet to the window, assigned the permissions etc to the portal, page etc, but I cannot figure it out how to view the portal I just created! Anybody has any idea? I am using the JBoss portal which comes with Pentaho 1.6.0.GA.863.

Default try this

try to use the link to your portal :

for example

http:\\192.168.0.100:8080\portal\auth\portal\YOUR_PORTAL_NAME
    Last edited by Thiago do Amaral; 01-24-2008 at 11:47 AM.
    Thiago
    Polos IT- System Analyst

Thanks Thiago, it works!

another question related to JBoss portal: the new page I created using portal admin interface - I though it(page definition) should go into default-object.xml or pentaho-portal-object.xml , but I cannot find it! where is it stored? When I create a new portal, is it supposed to generate a XML file too?

Also, JBoss portal seems to have very limited functionality, for example, you cannot delete a portlet window from the page, you cannot do drag and drop, or re-arrange page layout, page layout wise, I don't find a lot of flexibility in terms of designing layout, for example, I found you can do 3 columns layout, but what if I want to 4 columns etc? What do you think of this? I am about to look at liferay portal to replace JBoss, any experience with it ?

Default Hi Friend !!

1- another question related to JBoss portal: the new page I created using portal admin interface - I though it(page definition) should go into default-object.xml or pentaho-portal-object.xml , but I cannot find it! where is it stored? When I create a new portal, is it supposed to generate a XML file too?

This files are in :
    pentaho-demo/jboss/server/default/deploy/pentaho.war/Web-INF

When I create a new portal, is it supposed to generate a XML file too?

I think not, the files the jboss portal are in :
    pentaho-demo/jboss/server/default/deploy/jboss-portal.sar

you can customize this files to your portal. example login page, header, themes , etc.

Also, JBoss portal seems to have very limited functionality, for example, you cannot delete a portlet window from the page, you cannot do drag and drop, or re-arrange page layout, page layout wise, I don't find a lot of flexibility in terms of designing layout, for example, I found you can do 3 columns layout, but what if I want to 4 columns etc? What do you think of this? I am about to look at liferay portal to replace JBoss, any experience with it ?

Yes, the jboss have a limited functionalitys but, I don t Know all functionalitys of Jboss can do, but i know it possible to make many things. maybe in files the jboss you can configure and personalize more your portal =) !! search the documentations about this.
    about Liferay, i never use, but i hear to talk ... i think this a good portal too, it s possible make portlets to put in your portal, more easy than jboss portal ,and personalize many things. When I will have time, I will learny about this liferay too.
    Thiago
    Polos IT- System Analyst

1- another question related to JBoss portal: the new page I created using portal admin interface - I though it(page definition) should go into default-object.xml or pentaho-portal-object.xml , but I cannot find it! where is it stored? When I create a new portal, is it supposed to generate a XML file too?

This files are in :
    pentaho-demo/jboss/server/default/deploy/pentaho.war/Web-INF

-> I know it's in this folder, but I cannot find any new page definition defined in default-object.xml or pentaho-portal-object.xml or any other files

When I create a new portal, is it supposed to generate a XML file too?

I think not, the files the jboss portal are in :
    pentaho-demo/jboss/server/default/deploy/jboss-portal.sar

-> I don't see any new timestamp for the folders/files, and this tells me this folder is not touched when a new portal is created - I searched this portal and cannot see anything related to my creation of new portal

you can customize this files to your portal. example login page, header, themes , etc.

Yes, the jboss have a limited functionalitys but, I don t Know all functionalitys of Jboss can do, but i know it possible to make many things. maybe in files the jboss you can configure and personalize more your portal =) !! search the documentations about this.
    about Liferay, i never use, but i hear to talk ... i think this a good portal too, it s possible make portlets to put in your portal, more easy than jboss portal ,and personalize many things. When I will have time, I will learny about this liferay too.

-> I will start evaluate Liferay today

** i think not exist a new file with your portal, when you created a new portal, many files are afecteds.
    for example enter in:

-deploy/jboss-portal.sar/portal-server.war
    in this file have 2 archives
    error.jsp and login.jsp ...you can configure in html this files to make your login page your portal.

-jboss-portal.sar/portal-core-war/web-INF/jsp/header
    header.jsp
    with this archive you can configure your head portal

-jboss-portal.sar/portal-core-war/themes
    and select the theme you used and configure your css.

this mode,your configure all portal, and no only your portal.
    sorry, I don t know if possible configure only the portal created.
    Thiago
    Polos IT- System Analyst

Quote Originally Posted by mbyanfei View Post
    Thanks Thiago, it works!

another question related to JBoss portal: the new page I created using portal admin interface - I though it(page definition) should go into default-object.xml or pentaho-portal-object.xml , but I cannot find it! where is it stored? When I create a new portal, is it supposed to generate a XML file too?

The stuff you create with the admin interface is stored to the jboss portal database only, and not written to the xml files. The xml files you mentioned contain portals, pages and suchlike, but they are (usually) overridden by what is stored in the database.

I am using JBoss Portal from jboss.org, and not the version that is bundled with Pentaho. All the functionality you mention is there. But of course it may be that the version of jboss portal that comes with pentaho does not contain everything, I don't know.

Of course, liferay is also a nice option and from what I've heard, liferay is very good.

Thanks,
    Tobias