Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Making progress but still have a few questions

Default Making progress but still have a few questions

Hi,

I am making some good progress in learning and using Pentaho. However I still have some questions and hope that someone can help me to clarify:

1. The report.xml file generated by Report Designer is quite different from those used in the samples. For example the sample uses <report> as root node while the xml generated by Designer shows <report-definition>. Also there are so many basic-key tags that were not present in the demo xml. Am I using Designer correctly? or I have to manually edit it to make it work?

2. In Report Designer, I added a table and a jreechart, they were all previewed correctly with correct data from MySQL. However, when I put xml and xaction files to the Pentaho, the chart (drawable) was rendered as content:null, and the table was rendered but with terrible format.

Thank you in advance!

fangz

The report.xml file generated by Report Designer is quite different from those used in the samples. For example the sample uses <report> as root node while the xml generated by Designer shows <report-definition>. Also there are so many basic-key tags that were not present in the demo xml. Am I using Designer correctly? or I have to manually edit it to make it work?
    The classic-reporting engine ships with support two report-definition file formats. The Simple-XML format (the one with the <report> root-tag) is designed to be used by humans. It can be read and written very easily, but does not cover all features of the reporting engine. (However, it is sufficient for about 99% of all cases anyway.)

The other format is the extended-report format (root tag "report-definition"). This one is basically a serialized version of the report definition. It is not really easy to read for humans, as it tends to be very verbose. However, this format covers all features for the reporting engine and there is code in the engine that can generate this XML-format from any given JFreeReport object. This way, the design tools dont have to implement the writer code for themself, they simply rely on the reporting engine for the writing. For the reporting engine, it makes no difference of whether it is fed the simple XML or the extended XML, the engine automatically selects the correct parser implementation to read the XML stream.

In Report Designer, I added a table and a jreechart, they were all previewed correctly with correct data from MySQL. However, when I put xml and xaction files to the Pentaho, the chart (drawable) was rendered as content:null, and the table was rendered but with terrible format.
    This could be caused by many reasons. The preview in the report-designer shows you the print/PDF preview. Tables are more complicated and need carefully designed reports. To make the table export work correctly, your elements should be aligned correctly and must not overlap. During the export, the absolutely positioned elements get translated into a table-layout. As table cells cannot overlap each other, overlapping elements cannot be handled. The engine solves that problem by ignoring all but the first element that occupies a cell. Each distinct x or y position in your report will be transformed in a cell-boundary - so the more positions you have, the more cells you get.

A more detailed explanation of our table-layout algorithm can be found here: http://www.sherito.org/2007/03/19/1174335540000.html

The error that causes the chart to disappear smells like a version conflict of the underlying ChartExpressions. What versions of the report-designer and the pentaho-platform are you using?
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

I did not read the forum for quite a few days, thinking that nobody would bother to answer my questions. Thank you so much for your detailed answers. It really helps!

fangz