Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Splitting Time Dim. Levels across axis ?

Question Splitting Time Dim. Levels across axis ?

Is it possible to place 1 level of the time dimentsion as a column and another level as a row ? I have a time dimension with Year/Month/Week levels. In JPivot I want to compare data for Months across years. So somethoing like:

__________________________------------- SALES $ ---------------
    __________________________YEAR 1 YEAR 2 Year 3
    Customer A
    ---------------------January
    ---------------------February
    ---------------------March
    ---------------------April
    ---------------------December

So the Year level of the time dimension would be columns and the Month level would be rows. This allows easy visual comparison of Months year over year.
    The only way I have been able to do this is to have a spearate dimetnsion outside of the Time dimension call Dim_Months. Then I have in my analysis the additional Dim_Months dimension. This is a bit awkward as it is not intuitive toi inlcude to dimensions for Time.

Any ideas?,
    Bill

Anyone have any ideas on this? I'm looking for the same sort of thing.

Thanks
    Bob

Default asdf

I don't think you'll find exactly what you want. One thing in MDX that will likely remain constant: a dimension may only be used on the rows OR columns of a query, not both. It doesn't seem that there is anything wrong with using a dimension twice, but it must be used on the same axis.

Personally I would just go with the 2nd dimension idea. I'm doing the same thing right now with a 'special events' dimension. Most examples you'll find of a date dimension include all special events in the date dimension itself, but with overlapping special events you end up with duplicate date entries in the date dimension table, so I decided to add a separate dimension for special events to allow for overlapping events.

For example, some people might define 'christmas season' as nov-dec, which would contain thanksgiving, black friday, hannukah, quanza, and other holidays I've not thought of, not to mention you might have a company party that falls on presidents day, or something similar. Why have special case stuff like a column for each holiday, a column specifying seasons when all of this could be accurately described as a separate dimension?

Alternatively, you could just write a report that breaks things out the way you want.

-Brian