Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: HTTP Request Timeout

Default HTTP Request Timeout

Hi,

I'm evaluating WAQR at the moment and have come up against a problem.

Our database is large and some of our ad-hoc queries may take 5-10 minutes to perform. However, the HTTP request is timing out before the query is finished and the user gets an ugly server timeout error.

Is this a known issue with WAQR or Pentaho Reports, to which there is a known solution?

To my knowledge, commercial tools use a polling mechanism that keeps sending requests until the report is ready.

Thanks

Hi Stan,

ever tried to schedule the report in background mode?
    If there is no way to speed up your queries, I would propose for the users to execute the reports in background.
    No one should wait in front of an open browser for 5 to 10 minutes I think.

Regards,
    Alex

Thanks Alex

Can you schedule an ad-hoc report in background mode using WAQR?

I'm not concerned with the turnaround time - I know our users are happy to park the request in a Firefox tab and go off and attend to other things - it's not as though they'll be watching all the time waiting for a response like waiting for paint to dry!

Thanks

Hi STan,

Yes, you can execute a waqr-report in the background.
    There is a tooltip showing up when you put the mouse cursor over the (saved) waqr-report in the solution list. It's the same one you use to edit a saved report. There is a menu option "background"-

I am not sure, what happens then, but it seems to be an asynchronous request - maybe they are using the scheduler.

I hope this will solve your problem - I have no such long running report here (only playing around with waqr at the moment).

Sorry for my bad english - I do not expect your users waiting for the report without doing anything else of course. I just think that a http-request is not the right way to execute a long running action.

Regards,
    Alex

Default Session timeout

Alex's suggestion (to run the report in the background) is likely the best solution to your problem.

An alternate (but not as effective) solution would be to increase the session time out of your web application (e.g. the PreConfigured Install [aka PCI]). You can do this by modifying the session-timeout value in the web.xml file.

Look for this text in the web.xml:
    <session-config>
    <session-timeout>30</session-timeout>
    </session-config>

In the above example, the time is set to 30 minutes.

Take a look here: http://www.chemaxon.com/jchem/doc/admin/tomcat.html for more info on the session timeout.

Quote Originally Posted by sbarkdull View Post

An alternate (but not as effective) solution would be to increase the session time out of your web application (e.g. the PreConfigured Install [aka PCI]). You can do this by modifying the session-timeout value in the web.xml file.

Look for this text in the web.xml:
    <session-config>
    <session-timeout>30</session-timeout>
    </session-config>

In the above example, the time is set to 30 minutes.
    Thanks very much for the replies.

I know the timeout happened before 30 minutes, so I don't think increasing this will have an impact. The message I got back appeared to be from our company proxy server, and I can't really influence the timeout value there.

As for executing in the background, I'll look at this - but I'd prefer not to have to save every query before requesting it be run asynchronously - it doesn't make it easy on the user.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Stan.

Is it possible a proxy timeout. ? This happend when the proxy server kills the session. Happens when running through strict proxy servers. Try using an Email task to overcome the report time out so you basically setup the report and get it mailed to you. The Run in background is very buggy !