Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: No prompt when resizing report

Default No prompt when resizing report

Hi,

In the past, when I resized the report (change the page definition by choosing another page format) it prompted me for adjustment methods. Something like "The Page Definition has been changed. How do you want the report elements to be adjusted?" I had the options for Align Center, Left, Right or Resize Proportional.

But now I don't get this prompt any more, the elements are automatically resized and I don't want it. For example, I only want to change the page format from A4 Portrait to A4 Landscape without any resizing but I can't do it.

I had to manually change the format in xml file and it is fine, but I have another problem that I can't import this xml file correctly in RD (not only this but any other xml file created by RD I can't correctly import into RD again). Is it maybe the consequence of changing the reporting engine to the newest version and not changing anything in Report Designer??

thanks very much

regards, dejan

if you cannot import a file anymore, and it worked before, then a change of the engine might indeed be the source of all evil. In that case, tell us more details about it.

Our policy is: Old reports must work with newer versions - if they dont, its a bug that needs fixing.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Hi,

Here are the details:

Since I had a big encoding problem (my special characters didn't show in report but questionmark shown instead) that was solved in 0.8.9.2 reporting engine, I had to manually deploy the 0.8.9.2 into 1.6.1 PCI (1.6.2 came out after that but it still doesn't include 0.8.9.2 engine). So I did the following:

1. Downloaded pentaho-reporting-engine-classic-0.8.9.2.zip
    2. Moved the old files to a backup folder. Here are the files I moved:
    bsf-2.3.0.jar
    bsh-1.3.0.jar
    itext-1.5.2.jar
    jcommon-1.0.12.jar
    jcommon-serializer-0.2.0.jar
    libfonts-0.3.4.jar
    libformula-0.1.15.jar
    libloader-0.3.7.jar
    librepository-0.1.5.jar
    libxml-0.9.11.jar
    pentaho-reporting-engine-classic-0.8.9-ga.jar
    pentaho-reporting-engine-classic-ext-0.8.9-ga.jar
    pixie-0.8.10.jar
    poi-3.0.1-jdk122-final-20071014.jar
    2. Put pentaho-reporting-engine-classic-0.8.9.2.jar and ALL the files from lib folder (13 of them) in pentaho.war/WEB-INF/lib.

I started the server but with errors. Next:

1. I have aditionally downloaded pentaho-reporting-engine-classic-ext-0.8.9.2.zip. I put pentaho-reporting-engine-classic-ext-0.8.9.2.jar into pentaho.war/WEB-INF/lib.
    2. I have also removed gnujaxp.jar (that was not in the lib folder before I put it from repoting engine lib).

I don't know what of those two helped but now it works correctly.

regarding the current problem, when I import the xml file I just published from RD, I get totally "screwed up" report. I don't know if the original question about the page resizing is related to this...

regards, dejan

Hi,

Just one more thing: today I finally got the prompt but only after modifying the margin values! When modifiying the page format/size I still don't get it and the report is resized automatically in a way I don't want :-(

regards, dejan

Your exceptions-problem was probably caused soley by GNUJapx. Well, the JAXP standard recommends not to reference XML parser implementation classes directly, yet sill most of the infrastructure projects code strictly against their "own" XML parser and thus as soon as a foreign parser enters the field, the card-house falls apart.

Having GNU-Jaxp is only required if you use JDK 1.2 or JDK 1.3, every later JDK ships with a parser already.

The PREC-ext jar provides some (optional, from the engine's point of view) extensions code, like printing with the JDK 1.4-API or SVG support. As the platform uses JDK 1.4, they naturally make use of the better printing API in there.

Regarding the failed import of the exported report definition: Please file a bug for it and attach a report-definition that fails. The export/import should work without crashes, any crash that occurs simply means that there is a family of bugs having a great time in our code. Lets spoil the fun for them
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Thanks for the explanation

I'll file a bug regarding the failed import. It happens for any report for me. What about the "no prompt" issue? Is this a bug too?

regards, dejan

I would say so. Having the prompt only on half of the properties smells like one. Either no prompt or always a prompt - but something in between is not right.

Hi,

The problem with failed import has been solved and now I can successfully import the xml file but using the trunk version of Report Designer.

But the issue with "no prompt" has not been solved. So now I am struggling with a decent workaround to resize my reports. I can resize it manually in xml file and then import it into RD, but what happens:

1. My custom gllobal configuration parameters are not imported, for example:

org.jfree.report.modules.output.pageable.pdf.EmbedFonts=true
    org.jfree.report.modules.output.pageable.pdf.Encoding=utf-8
    org.jfree.report.modules.output.table.html.Encoding=utf-8

Fortunatelly, those parameters are same for all my reports so I have added them through jfreereport.properties file

2. My JNDI Data source is not imported (it is placed in xaction file) so I have to manually create it. No problem with a report or two but I have a bunch of them...

Hi,

I have finally realized why the prompt is not showing: adjustPageSize function (ReportDialog.java) does not prompt if new width is less than old width but resizes the width proportionally without asking anything. It is principally correct but not in any case - I think, if the report elements fit into new width (even if it is smaller than the old one) there is no need to resize them or at least resize them without asking.

For now, I have modified this piece of source code so now it prompts me, I choose Align Left and everything is fine, no resizing happens. I will explain this in bug I have already reported...

regards, dejan