Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: I need some help in setting up my PostgreSQL in report designer

Default I need some help in setting up my PostgreSQL in report designer

Hello guys. I am a new to programming and new to pentaho and I am having some trouble adding a new data set for my postgresql. I read the forums here and it seems that nothing helped me with my problems or I made some mistakes during the process. I couldn't locate my postgresql.

I read a forum that said that I need to download the driver and I downloaded this 'postgresql-8.2-505.jdbc4.jar' my postgresql version is 8.2. I tried many other versions of the postgresql jar files and all the results are the same in adding a new datasource in error occurs something like invalid bad version number in .class file.
    I tried these steps that I found here in the forums.

1. I got the copy of the 'postgresql-8.2-505.jdbc4.jar' and saved it in this location C:\pentaho\bi-server\jboss\server\default\deploy.

2. Next I tried to create an XML file and saved it in the same folder
    it is named 'eavpi-ds.xml'
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <datasources>
    <local-tx-datasource>
    <jndi-name>postgreSQL</jndi-name>
    <connection-url>jdbcostgresql://localhost:5432/eavpidevel</connection-url>
    <driver-class>org.postgresql.Driver</driver-class>
    <user-name>postgres</user-name>
    <password>jagteam</password>
    </local-tx-datasource>
    </datasources

3. then I went to here C:\pentaho\bi-server\jboss\server\default\deploy\pentaho.war\WEB-INF and opened web.xml and added this
    <resource-ref>
    <description>eavpi</description>
    <res-ref-name>jdbc/eavpi</res-ref-name>
    <res-type>javax.sql.DataSource</res-type>
    <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
    </resource-ref>

4. then opened jboss-web.xml
    <resource-ref>
    <res-ref-name>jdbc/eavpi</res-ref-name>
    <res-type>javax.sql.DataSource</res-type>
    <jndi-name>java:/postgreSQL</jndi-name>
    </resource-ref>

I tried reloading my report designer and nothing seems to heppen. I couldn't detect the newly created dataset. I tried adding and inputted the values in number 2 and I get the same result as invalid bad version number in .class file. can somebody help me in adding my a datasource in report designer using postgreSQL. I need it badly for my theproject ^_^

whats the Metadata editor. I tried the Metadata Editor and I can select the postgreSQL database. I can connect to it but dont know what to do with it. im just starting out so if someone can help me pls help ^_^

I can read in the forums that people already connected to the postgresql database but having errors after. but for now I am more concerned on how do I connect my data to the report designer. Thanks in Advance

Unrelated stuff.

You are configuring the platform to add a new datasource for psql, but that won't make it work against PRD. Add the jar file to the lib dir in PRD in order for it to find the jdbc driver
    Pedro Alves
    Meet us on ##pentaho, a FreeNode irc channel

I tried that already but still I cant find the jdbc driver. im sorry im a newbie in this stuffs. can you make it step by step on how my PRD donnects to postgreSQL database? I mean what should I do first..

Quote Originally Posted by anmurk View Post
    I tried that already but still I cant find the jdbc driver. im sorry im a newbie in this stuffs. can you make it step by step on how my PRD donnects to postgreSQL database? I mean what should I do first..
    Same problem here. i copied the postgres' jdbc file almost everywhere, but still can't see it in the dropdown.

any suggestions?

place "postgresql-8.3-604.jdbc4.jar" file to this path:
    /pentaho/report-designer/lib/jdbc/postgresql-8.3-604.jdbc4.jar

nw start report designer and u ll be able to c this jar file over there

thx for the tip himanshu_mittal. Solved my datasource issue.