Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installation from scratch - javac error

Question installation from scratch - javac error

Hi,
    I'd like to install from scratch using tomcat and oracle so I've checked out the head versions of /pentaho, /pentaho-data and /pentaho-preconfiguredinstall. My default JDK is 1.6.0.03 so I've created override.properties in /pentaho and added the following lines:
    • java1.4.home=/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03
    • jre.dir=/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03/jre
    • javac.path=/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03/bin/javac
    I've started ant war-pentaho-tomcat-oracle10g and got an error in the compile-jsps target:

[echo] root: server/pentaho/webapp
    [javac] Compiling 45 source files to /opt/install/pentaho/build/pentaho-precompiled-jsps/pentaho.war/WEB-INF/classes
    [javac] /opt/install/pentaho/server/pentaho/webapp/WEB-INF/src/org/apache/jsp/jsp/PropertiesPanel_jsp.java:84: cannot find symbol
    [javac] symbol : class List
    [javac] location: class org.apache.jsp.jsp.PropertiesPanel_jsp
    [javac] List messages = new ArrayList();
    [javac] ^
    [javac] Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
    [javac] Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
    [javac] 1 error

I'm not a java guy so I have no idea how to solve this, any help is appreciated

Thank you,
    Martin

You are missing some classes - org.apache.jsp.jsp.PropertiesPanel_jsp - on the classpath , but first of all why did you switch back to 1.4?
    Pedro Alves
    Meet us on ##pentaho, a FreeNode irc channel

There was a missing import statement in the header
    And I'll stick to 1.6 then

Thank you,
    Martin
    Last edited by martin.schubert; 03-04-2008 at 09:21 AM.

Question Related error

I'm also not a Java guru and am having some trouble installing manually for use with a Tomcat server.

Where I'm getting stuck is with the Ant installation. I discovered I only had a JRE installed, not the JDK. I had been using Java 1.5.0_04, which Sun has updated to 1.5.0_15. I installed the new JDK and added it to my system PATH, but when I try to start Ant, it keeps referring to the java.runtime.version = 1.5.0_04. Where else do I change this or how do I purge Ant's memory of the old java installation? I'm not sure where it keeps this information, but on the Ant troubleshooting/installation pages of the manual they specifically say not to change the CLASSPATH as it leads to lots of problems.

Does anyone have any insight?

DebbieKat,

I'm assuming you are using the designstudio.
    when you run as ant on the build.xml you can switch to on of the tabs and select the jdk instead. I had the same problem at one point.
    you'll also need to restart the design studio for it to pickup the new java path.
    Hope that helps. I'm not at the desk so I can't look at the tabs and give better discription.

nic

Quote Originally Posted by guzaldon View Post
    DebbieKat,

I'm assuming you are using the designstudio.
    when you run as ant on the build.xml you can switch to on of the tabs and select the jdk instead. I had the same problem at one point.
    you'll also need to restart the design studio for it to pickup the new java path.
    Hope that helps. I'm not at the desk so I can't look at the tabs and give better discription.

nic
    Hi nic -
    I'm actually trying to just do the installation of the BI server. I didn't even get to the designstudio app yet. I can't get Ant to even start up to create the build.xml. I'm trying to start it from a command line, so there are no tabs... Upon running the ant.bat (I'm on Win2K), it keeps referring to the old JRE installation of Java, rather than the new JDK installation even though I've changed the path and there is no reference to the JRE folders. How do you clear out Ant's knowledge of the old directory? I've confirmed what it's doing by running the ant -diagnostic command as per their manual.

Just to clarify, I can't even get Ant installed because it is looking for the tools.jar file, which only exists with the JDK and not the JRE, but it keeps wanting to refer to the JRE directory...
    Last edited by DebbieKat; 04-24-2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added information about Ant installation problem.

if you are building a j2ee deployment you will need the design studio.
    If you are starting I would say to look at the PCI. in the download section

-nic

Default Installation Instructions

if you are building a j2ee deployment you will need the design studio.
    If you are starting I would say to look at the PCI. in the download section

-nic
    Hi nic -
    I actually did install the PCI first. The problem that I ran into was that the metadata editor (in either version 1.6 or 1.7) for some reason doesn't show up for me with a SQL Server tab, which is the database I need to access. I was able to run through the examples, however, but now I would like to point this towards MY database and start working with it. Second, I am using Tomcat, which requires the manual installation. I am following the instructions from the wiki step by step and they haven't indicated installation of the design studio yet.

I am following the steps in this document: http://wiki.pentaho.org/display/Pent...fore+you+begin

So, where I am now stuck is that I'm trying to install Ant (from this step: http://wiki.pentaho.org/display/Pent...ation+archives) and it requires the JDK instead of the JRE, which I have installed.

I ran ant -diagnostics and it was indicating it was looking at the old JRE path (a different version). But NOW when I run ant -diagnostics, it gives the following error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/tools/ant/Launch/Launcher.

Do I need to try to reinstall Ant?

DebbieKat,
    the reason why I say you should use the design studio, is that i find it easeir to build the pentaho wars for tomcat as well as do a lot of other things easier b/c it's eclipse tailored for working pentaho.
    just download the design studio add a java project point it to what you want to build (i normally add the svn project). then fire up the build.xml by running as ant. In there you can

that's what I do and i have minimal issues once I pointed it to the right java version. in the jre tab of any build.
    hope that helps.

nic

Exclamation Some Assumptions...

DebbieKat,
    the reason why I say you should use the design studio, is that i find it easeir to build the pentaho wars for tomcat as well as do a lot of other things easier b/c it's eclipse tailored for working pentaho.
    just download the design studio add a java project point it to what you want to build (i normally add the svn project). then fire up the build.xml by running as ant. In there you can

that's what I do and i have minimal issues once I pointed it to the right java version. in the jre tab of any build.
    hope that helps.

nic
    I've been hesitating to stray from the script in the wiki for installing the BI server because I'm a total newbie with eclipse and java. I really can use step by step instructions for this. Does there happen to be a wiki for this?

I just extracted the report designer source and tried to execute the startdesigner.bat and now I'm getting this error:
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/swt/widgets/Display

Do I have to do something with my newly installed Java JDK? This error seems really similar to the latest error I received trying to run the ant -diagnostics. I'm sure once I get these things installed, I'll be up and running rather quickly, but the installation is just KILLING me.