Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: dashboard templates?

Default dashboard templates?

Version 1.6.0.GA.863-GA

I have been trying to figure out the link between the solution files and the template not having any luck.

I finally found SampleDashboard.jsp in the pentaho.war/jsp, however I can't seem to find where in the solution that it refrerences that particular file for use.

I am sure I am missing something. I am just not sure what.

Also, I was reading "A Dashboard Framework for the Pentaho BI Platform" and it mentions "template.html" which also does not seem to work. That makes the documentation a bit confusing.

Any direction that can be provided to point me to the correct file locations and how to define the association would be appreciated.

Hello chris,

Let's use klose's dashboard framework as an example.

Files inside pentaho.war/jsp are being used by servlets mapped in pentaho.war/WEB-INF/web.xml

Inside a jsp file (Dashboards.jsp for instance, as mentioned in klose's dashboard framework) you'll find a code around lines 90-100: templater.breakTemplate( "template-dashboard.html", "", userSession );

the "template-dashboard.html" file resides in "pentaho-solutions/system/custom" directory. This html file defines the layout of the webpage.

These are the file locations and associations that are important in developing dashboards (AFAIK).

I hope this info helps. Cheers!

Hi Chris,

maybe I can shed some more light.

1. SampleDashboard.jsp

The refernce to the Dashboard is a file called dahboard.url in samples/dashboard. It links to a URL, /pentaho/SampleDashboard, which is mapped to the SampleDashboard.jsp in the web.xml of the pentaho.war web application. In the source code of the JSP you will see that several files from the Pentaho solution are referenced in the ChartHelper.do...-methods.

Maybe this guide will help you to understand how this sample dashboard works: Dashboard Building

If you want to develop your own Dashboard using this technique, you need to create your own JSP file, map it in the web.xml. To make it accessible via the navigation, add a .url file to the solution folder.

2. Dashboard Framework

The dashboard framework takes a slightly different approach. After you install the necessary files as describe in the readme.txt, you will be able to add new dashboards by adding new folders to the Dashboards solution. Each dashboard has its own subfolder and the template.html is a must have file in each of these folders. It will be automatically read by the Dashboards.jsp and can not be renamed. The template.html allows you to define your dashboard. You can use the Pentaho AJAX API to reference action sequences from the solution to display them in the dashboard.

3. Roren's Answer

Roren is talking about the Pentaho template files, which are used to give the web application a consistent structure as well as look-and-feel. Pretty much all of the JSP files in the pentaho.war/jsp import one of the templates to get the skeleton HTML. These template files are not Dashboard related but part of the overall Pentaho webapplication.

Well, I hope this made things clearer for you.

Exclamation

Hi Ingo,
    I am using your pentaho dashboard framework as base and building my own dashboard. I am unable to understand how you have created the Xaction files. Example "RegionsPieChart.xaction"
    my need is to build a dashboard which gives a drilldown on my own tables. In this case should I modify your Xaction file and incorporate my changes or is there any other tool to build the Xaction files ?

Thanks
    Raj

Hi Raj,

Action sequences, which are stored in xations files, are the building blocks of the Pentaho Platform. There is an Eclipse plugin for designing them, or you can download the Pentaho Design Studio, Pentaho's preconfigured Eclipse version.

In case you have not yet done, please read the following pages in the WIKI to understand how Pentaho's action sequences work:

http://wiki.pentaho.org/display/Pent...he+BI+Platform
    http://wiki.pentaho.org/display/Pent...taho+Solutions
    http://wiki.pentaho.org/display/stud...+Design+Studio

Regards,
    Ingoi

Hello Ingo, I have used your dashboard framework and i just want to know if there is a way to call the Dashboards.jsp just clicking on the example carpet or perhaps in one of the actions sequence, just to avoid writing the URL...

By the way, thanx for the framework, its an excelent method...

Carlos

Hi,

Glad to hear that the framework is of use to you.

You can create a shortcut in one of the solution folders to call the Dashboard.jsp from the solution explorer. A Pentaho shortcut is a file with a *.url name.

Here is an example:
    Code:
    [InternetShortcut]
    URL=/pentaho/Dashboards
    Modified=30E041B5D78BC5012E
    [navigation]
    Name=Dashboards
    Description=Link to the Dashboard Framework start page
    Icon=dashboard.jpg
    Pentaho used that technique with their dashboard sample, too. Have a look at ../samples/dashboard/dashboard.url

Regards,
    Ingo

Thanx for your help...!!!

Carlos

Hi Ingo,

your dashboard framework installation package is working fine on my machine!!!

But I was wondering which files exactly I have to edit/compose to change the appearance of the dashboard?
    For example I wanted to add some own design, change the colours a.s.o. for this issue the Dashboard.jsp and the template-dashboard.html came to my mind but since I am not so familiar with Java Server Pages I wanted to ask you first if its necessary to tamper with .jsp files...

My second question is if its possible to get a kind of "stand-alone dashboard solution" maybe something like: I log on to the pentaho BI platform and the dashboard appears without any welcome screen..??

I appreciate your help very much!!!

Kind Regards
    A. Sami

You need to edit template.html, no messing with jsp needed.

For the second part you may need to change Login.jsp, not sure if there's a better solution
    Pedro Alves
    Meet us on ##pentaho, a FreeNode irc channel

Hi,

the second part is easy, too. Just change the mapping in the web.xml for the Home tag to the Dashboards.jsp. That way the first page after login in should be the dashboards.

Best regards,
    Ingo

Hi Ingo,

I've tried to change the mapping in the web.xml for the Home tag but afterwards it always gives me a:

HTTP Status 404 - /pentaho

Do you know why?

And another question:

How can I edit the style of the Navigation and the Header sections? I was successful with changing the background of the Header(in the styles-new.css) but it mysteriously does not want to change the font color...
    And the Navigation section is just rocket science for me...I tried everything but cant figure out how to change the font and the color of the menu!

Thanks for your help!!

A. Sami

OK, so I've got my xaction, xml and JSP.

I'm also having the HTTP 404 problem, and the JSP is already mapped in my web.xml, what else could I be missing?

Do I map the JSP under the <!-- Pentaho JSP Mappings --> tag or the <!-- Pentaho JSPs --> tag, or both?

Default DashBoard Problem

Hi,
    i changed the file according to the documentation Now i am getting this server error

ERROR [SolutionRepositoryBase] SOLUTION-REPOSITORY: SolutionRepository.ERROR_0001 - File does not exist samples/steel-wheels/homeDashboard/Sales_by_Territory.xaction
    11:07:43,078 ERROR [SolutionEngine] 66a8ed51-0c40-11dd-9029-db87059876b4:SOLUTION-ENGINE:Sales_by_Territory.xaction: SolutionEngine.ERROR_0005 - Action sequence not valid
    11:07:43,090 ERROR [SolutionRepositoryBase] SOLUTION-REPOSITORY: SolutionRepository.ERROR_0001 - File does not exist samples/steel-wheels/homeDashboard/Sales_by_Productline.xaction
    11:07:43,090 ERROR [SolutionEngine] 66aac212-0c40-11dd-9029-db87059876b4:SOLUTION-ENGINE:Sales_by_Productline.xaction: SolutionEngine.ERROR_0005 - Action sequence not valid

Pl Help ASAP
    SANJEEWAN

hi,
    I want to start with dashboards and am trying to figure out how to do it. According to this post, I could use the framework (which seems to be the easiest method) or I could create the dashboards from scratch, maybe taking the sample as a model. Before starting, I would like to know if there are important advantages / disadvantages in any of this methods.
    Thanks in advance for your clarifying answers,
    mc

Quote Originally Posted by ingo.klose View Post
    Hi Chris,

maybe I can shed some more light.

1. SampleDashboard.jsp

The refernce to the Dashboard is a file called dahboard.url in samples/dashboard. It links to a URL, /pentaho/SampleDashboard, which is mapped to the SampleDashboard.jsp in the web.xml of the pentaho.war web application. In the source code of the JSP you will see that several files from the Pentaho solution are referenced in the ChartHelper.do...-methods.

Maybe this guide will help you to understand how this sample dashboard works: Dashboard Building

If you want to develop your own Dashboard using this technique, you need to create your own JSP file, map it in the web.xml. To make it accessible via the navigation, add a .url file to the solution folder.

2. Dashboard Framework

The dashboard framework takes a slightly different approach. After you install the necessary files as describe in the readme.txt, you will be able to add new dashboards by adding new folders to the Dashboards solution. Each dashboard has its own subfolder and the template.html is a must have file in each of these folders. It will be automatically read by the Dashboards.jsp and can not be renamed. The template.html allows you to define your dashboard. You can use the Pentaho AJAX API to reference action sequences from the solution to display them in the dashboard.

3. Roren's Answer

Roren is talking about the Pentaho template files, which are used to give the web application a consistent structure as well as look-and-feel. Pretty much all of the JSP files in the pentaho.war/jsp import one of the templates to get the skeleton HTML. These template files are not Dashboard related but part of the overall Pentaho webapplication.

Well, I hope this made things clearer for you.

Hello Maria.

I suggest you read the CDF project homepage. I can't answer directly to that because I don't know what's important to you.

Virtually, you can get to the same results because you have a lot of freedom in both ways but a totally different approach.

Good luck

Pedro
    Pedro Alves

Hi Maria,

just to add to Pedro's post, here you'll find the Community Dashboard Framework.

The basic difference is that the framework allows you to work with your solution repository to add and define dashboards instead of creating a new JSP-page for each dashboard. It also plays nicely with the Pentaho security concepts. In additon is provides some features, such as selectors, listerns, etc. which otherwise you would have to implement yourself.

But using the JSP solution is fine, too, if you prefer that.

Best regards,
    Ingo

Thanks, Ingo and Pedro!

I like the framework's features. I'll give it a try.
    After "playing" a little with it, I'm sure I'll have more specific doubts.
    thanks again
    mc

Default Few clarifications..

Hi everyone,

I need some clarifications, before i actually go on to download dashboard components/ framework...

Will i be able to pull the data from mondrian cubes?
    Can i have link options in dashboard charts?
    Is there a flexible way to pass parameters among charts, and have hyperlink facilities?

Thanks,
    Meena

Yes

Yes

Yes.
    Pedro Alves

Default Link to download.

Hi,

Can anyone point me to the exact link from where i can download Community Dashboard framework?

Thanks,
    Meena

Hi...

i got the link.. hope am correct...

http://wiki.pentaho.com/download/att....zip?version=1

Now where to start off.. cause i don't find the read me file there...

Thanks,
    Meena

This is a signature.... everyone gets it.

Join the Unofficial Pentaho IRC channel on freenode.
    Server: chat.freenode.net Channel: ##pentaho

Please try and make an effort and search the wiki and forums before posting!
    Checkout the Saiku, the future of Open Source Interactive OLAP(http://analytical-labs.com)

http://mattlittle.files.wordpress.co...-bananaman.jpg

Default Alerting component..

Hi,

Need some help to understand the alerting component as a dashboard feature....
    How is that implemented?
    Attached Images Attached Images