Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Access Input: Unparseable dates

Post Access Input: Unparseable dates

Hello,

I'm using the Access Input step to select some values and I'm with problems in the columns of date type. In my MS Access file exist a column called BIRTH_DATE, in the format dd/MM/yyyy. The following error is happening when I try to run the Kettle:

Unexpected error :
    org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleValueException:
    BIRTH_DATE String : couldn't convert string [Mon Apr 22 00:00:00 BRT 1985] to a date

Unparseable date: "Mon Apr 22 00:00:00 BRT 1985"
    at org.pentaho.di.core.row.ValueMeta.convertStringToDate(ValueMeta.java:579)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.row.ValueMeta.getDate(ValueMeta.java:1593)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.selectvalues.SelectValues.metadataValues(SelectValues.java:324)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.selectvalues.SelectValues.processRow(SelectValues.java:366)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.selectvalues.SelectValues.run(SelectValues.java:426)
    Caused by: java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: "Mon Apr 22 00:00:00 BRT 1985"
    at java.text.DateFormat.parse(Unknown Source)

Note: The value "Mon Apr 22 00:00:00 BRT 1985" is being logged.

I setted the type "Date" and the format "dd/MM/yyyy" in the Fields tab of Access Input Step.

I'm using the Kettle version 3.0.2.

Can somebody help me?
    Last edited by Dhiogo; 03-22-2008 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhiogo View Post
    Hello,

I'm using the Access Input step to select some values and I'm with problems in the columns of date type. In my MS Access file exist a column called BIRTH_DATE, in the format dd/MM/yyyy. The following error is happening when I try to run the Kettle:

Unexpected error :
    org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleValueException:
    BIRTH_DATE String : couldn't convert string [Mon Apr 22 00:00:00 BRT 1985] to a date

Unparseable date: "Mon Apr 22 00:00:00 BRT 1985"
    at org.pentaho.di.core.row.ValueMeta.convertStringToDate(ValueMeta.java:579)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.row.ValueMeta.getDate(ValueMeta.java:1593)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.selectvalues.SelectValues.metadataValues(SelectValues.java:324)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.selectvalues.SelectValues.processRow(SelectValues.java:366)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.selectvalues.SelectValues.run(SelectValues.java:426)
    Caused by: java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: "Mon Apr 22 00:00:00 BRT 1985"
    at java.text.DateFormat.parse(Unknown Source)

Note: The value "Mon Apr 22 00:00:00 BRT 1985" is being logged.

I setted the type "Date" and the format "dd/MM/yyyy" in the Fields tab of Access Input Step.

I'm using the Kettle version 3.0.2.

Can somebody help me?

Just the same identical error to me. Any help?

Quote Originally Posted by biuri View Post
    Just the same identical error to me. Any help?

Same here, with the exactly same format of the date, which seems pretty strange to me...

Help Appreciated !!!!
    In Microsoft Access DB (source) the date has a "normal" format like dd.MM.YYYY hh:mm:ss

And i cant get why pentaho changes this format on import.
    I am not able to do any formating or transformation before "access input".
    Also a change of local setting does not work

I'm seeing the same error, if i set the format to string then it works but the format of the date is broken, like:
    Fri Aug 22 02:46:57 GMT+02:00 2008

Any ideas?

Hi,

You are rigth.
    I opened a bug here :

http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-1651

and posted a fix.

Samatar
    Samatar

Thank you. Is there a way to work around this problem in the meantime? Tahooma mentioned in this thread http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=60664 that it may be possible to do a javascript convert to get the date value out of these fields after reading it as strings.