Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Pentaho Automatic Updates?

Default Pentaho Automatic Updates?

Hello, Pentaho Team

I have 2 questions:

1) Is there a way to download and install ALL pentaho solutions in one go? I mean, withour having to install each module seperately?

2) Does the Pentaho set of applications have a way to get these applications updated AUTOMATICALLY, I mean, in a similar way than "windows update" does? that way I would not have to worry too much about future upgrades?

Thank you very much.

Best.

Quote Originally Posted by sfdc View Post
    1) Is there a way to download and install ALL pentaho solutions in one go? I mean, withour having to install each module seperately?

2) Does the Pentaho set of applications have a way to get these applications updated AUTOMATICALLY, I mean, in a similar way than "windows update" does? that way I would not have to worry too much about future upgrades?
    Funny you should say that, there is the reporting evaluation edition on sourceforge which has some of the stuff all packaged up and ready to go, I'm working on a community led project that will allow for automatic updates, its a bit of a way off though(I have a real job )

Tom

Edit: Yeah I should probably point out the live cd and configuration utilities come first. I've not put any thought into it yet.
    Last edited by bugg_tb; 03-30-2008 at 11:24 AM.
    This is a signature.... everyone gets it.

Join the Unofficial Pentaho IRC channel on freenode.
    Server: chat.freenode.net Channel: ##pentaho

Please try and make an effort and search the wiki and forums before posting!
    Checkout the Saiku, the future of Open Source Interactive OLAP(http://analytical-labs.com)

http://mattlittle.files.wordpress.co...-bananaman.jpg

Well, the report-designer contains an version-checker (as does Kettle 3.0, for instance).

But writing such a thing like a auto-update is harder and not a safe thing to do.

It is relatively easy for standalone applications. But ordinary users normally do not have the permissions to install applications. So after getting notified, you have to ask an admin (or login as admin) to do the update. After so many viruses, sane users do not run day-to-day applications as administrator, right? So a inplace update (like the Java-Update-Tool tries all day long) does not work.

And you certainly do not want to upgrade to a later version of the client, if your server is not updated as well. A 1.6 Report-Designer does not work well with a 1.2 platform, and unless your platform is auto-updated as well, you will run into troubles now.

Which brings up the next point: Do you want to update your production systems automatically? Oh, I already hear the screams of admins, waking up in terror after a upgrade broke their company's mission-critical application. Look at Windows: see how many millions of dollars Microsoft spends to verify each and every patch, and ask your admin whether he has auto-update enabled on his servers. As it just needs one messed up update to get into serious trouble (if not fired), the answer would be probably NO! No sane admin trusts automatic updates for critical infrastructure.

So notification is fine and sane, but auto-patching is a whole different story. I do believe in it, once I've seen it running successfully outside of tightly controlled environments. Auto-patching is more likely for minor version upgrades than for major upgrades, yet still, it assumes that you did not modify your system. The more you modified your installation, the more troubles you can expect.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.