Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: HTML JTextPane in reports

Default HTML JTextPane in reports

Hi,

I have a very large JTextPane which displays HTML and I want to be able to put it into a multi-page report. I'm using version 0.8.9.4. Is there an example of how to do this with the API?

Thanks!
    Paul

Use a Component-Field and add your Swing-Component as report-property or inside the tablemodel. The ComponentDrawingDemo (org.jfree.report.ancient.demo.layouts.ComponentDrawingDemoHandler) shows how to do this using XML.

For API uses, use the "ComponentFieldElementFactory" to define your element:

Code:
        final ComponentFieldElementFactory cfef = new ComponentFieldElementFactory();
        cfef.setFieldname("CreateComponent");
        cfef.setMinimumSize(new FloatDimension(400, 400));
        cfef.setAbsolutePosition(new Point2D.Float(0,0));

final Element yourElement = cfef.createElement();
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

your reply is absolutely correct but i asked the wrong question. the real question is, can i pass in a couple pages worth of HTML into JFreeReport using the API?

btw, thanks for all your help over the past couple of days.

paul

Not HTML, but version 0.8.9 does have the technical ability of displaying rich-text.

For far we did not announce this capability, as we still have not found a sensible user-model for rich-text. HTML is maybe one of the worst options - it is not only ill-defined, ambiguous, irregular, insanely complex, hard to parse and even harder to display correctly, overloaded with old and deprecated features and no two HTML processors could agree on how to display a page properly. RTF is slightly better, although the later incarnations copied a lot of the sickness of HTML's complexity.

So if you manage to translate your HTML text into plain bands and elements, then you will be fine. For inline-elements (HTML: <span>, <font>, <b> etc) you can tell the band to have a "inline" layout, for block elements (HTML: <div>, <p>) use a band with layout-mode "block". However, for dynamic text you might have to employ a custom Function to add the elements to the report.

A sensible rich-text element that shields you from the manual conversion work is scheduled for 0.8.11. There we will most likely use some sort of simplified (say: welldefined) HTML. For the full-featured HTML and RTF, we will most likely fall back to the Swing-parsers or something home-grown (if the swing-parsers are so slow or creepy that they become unusable).
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

thanks for your reply!