Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: The In-outs about Kettle

Default The In-outs about Kettle

Dear All,

I hav just joined into the comunity. I require to find whether this tool is really worth it. The first look of it , it looks good and seems to have all the functions. Never the less the following question are for those who have practically used it . request you all those whi have the answers to please reply or guide me to the URL which might have the answers

Scalabilty w.r.t to the volume of data it can processScalabilty w.r.t to the volume of data it can process w.r.t. time
    Check in and Check out facility for version controlling
    Setting the destination at runtime (for the directory location)Method of Loading Multiple flat files
    Impact Analysis report incase of any change with the i/p or any field typePerformance moinitoiring facility
    After extraction, Update the database table status OR log entry into database tableExecute scenarios / jobs / transforms from command prompt

These are just initial queries.

thanking you all in anticipation.

regards,
    Chris.

[quote=rodrigues_chris;184180]
    I hav just joined into the comunity. I require to find whether this tool is really worth it. The first look of it , it looks good and seems to have all the functions. Never the less the following question are for those who have practically used it . request you all those whi have the answers to please reply or guide me to the URL which might have the answers
    [quote]

Don't you love Babelfish? I think its great.
    Anyway on with the important stuff..

Scalabilty w.r.t to the volume of data it can process
    Scalabilty w.r.t to the volume of data it can process w.r.t. time

Well both are resonably subjective and it all depends on what systems you have in place, if you server is a 500MHz PIII then it will take quite some time to process 50million rows, on the other hand if its a Quad Core AMD I suspect that time would be a lot shorter.

Check in and Check out facility for version controlling

There are SVN facilities available should you choose, theres always sourceforge for the latest versions.

Setting the destination at runtime (for the directory location)

What? I guess you mean file output location, well that will be possible with the correct variable setup.

Method of Loading Multiple flat files
    Erm, install it and you will see.

Impact Analysis report incase of any change with the i/p or any field typePerformance moinitoiring facility

There is extensive job and transformation logging availble.

After extraction, Update the database table status OR log entry into database tableExecute scenarios / jobs / transforms from command prompt
    yeah now you've lost me.

Hope some of that helps.

Tom
    This is a signature.... everyone gets it.

Join the Unofficial Pentaho IRC channel on freenode.
    Server: chat.freenode.net Channel: ##pentaho

Please try and make an effort and search the wiki and forums before posting!
    Checkout the Saiku, the future of Open Source Interactive OLAP(http://analytical-labs.com)

http://mattlittle.files.wordpress.co...-bananaman.jpg

Hi,

With respect to the last question, do you mean Update or Insert into a database table? If thats what you mean, yes it is very well possible and can be done pretty easily too.

And yes it is possible to run jobs and transformations from the command prompt with kitchen and pan respectively.

Regards,
    Masmuk