Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: adding the filedate to a stream

Default adding the filedate to a stream

I am a newbie to the Pentaho-ETL and I am having trouble adding the filedate to my job stream. My transformation starts with "GetFileNames" then passes it to a "Select Values" hop where I select the "filename" field and on the metadata tab rename the "lastmodifiedtime" to FEED_FILE_DT and convert it to a date format. I then pass the filename to a "Text File Input" step and then finally to a table output step to write it to my database. I get no errors and the FEED_FILE_DT field has nothing but nulls in it. I would appreciate any help possible.

I think the "Text File Input" step throws away any input fields coming into it. It might be by design due to it being an "input step", but I'm not the person to answer that.

What you can do, is to copy the rows from "Get File Names" to two hops, one to "Select Values" and one to "Text File Input", enable "Include filename in output" for the latter and then do a "Merge Join" on the filename to merge FEED_FILE_DT into the stream again.

I'm sort of a newbie myself, so there might be better ways.

If you are still searching for a solution:
    in order to create atext file you have to use the "Text File Output".

"Text File Input" is used if you need to read a text file and apply some steps to it.

Hope it helps.
    M.

Default Got it

Thanks Mick, I did finnaly figure out the problem. I apprecaiet the help.