Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Cube Designer instead of Mondrian?

Default Cube Designer instead of Mondrian?

Hello,

I just would like to assure myself that I understand things around Cube Designer and Pentaho in general correctly (so I am sorry for a little cross-post).
    I prepared database schema with Spoon and then used Cube Designer to create "star schema" and published it into the server.
    Now I am able to use Pentaho web-based analysis to observe the "cube", it means to drill down and up the dimensions etc.
    I am using only sample dataset (fact table has 10000 rows) so everything is working quite fast. But does it really mean that I do not have to install and use Mondrian itself (from one discussion post I understood that its engine is somehow already implemented in the Pentaho server...) because as I can see after publishing to the Pentaho server there are only 3 new small files created (xml, properties, xaction) but there is no new "OLAP cube" in the database (MySQL).
    So it seems me like the xml file is simply used as a pointer to the original tables and all the output during analysis is beeing made on-the-fly.
    Finally my question is, would be the result of using the Mondrian same as using the Cube Designer or there would be some more "OLAP objects..." -> faster solution for big data warehouses.
    Hope its understoodable,
    Thanks for reply,

Jan

Er putting it simply, yeah Mondrian is supplied with the Pentaho server, and the schema is contained in the cubes xml file and run on the fly, non of it is written to the database, it uses caching to make sure queries run fast. But you lost me on your last question
    This is a signature.... everyone gets it.

Join the Unofficial Pentaho IRC channel on freenode.
    Server: chat.freenode.net Channel: ##pentaho

Please try and make an effort and search the wiki and forums before posting!
    Checkout the Saiku, the future of Open Source Interactive OLAP(http://analytical-labs.com)

http://mattlittle.files.wordpress.co...-bananaman.jpg

Finally my question is, would be the result of using the Mondrian same as using the Cube Designer or there would be some more "OLAP objects..." -> faster solution for big data warehouses.
    As the Cube-Designer uses Mondrian to do all the OLAP related work, you can be dead-sure that the results are the same inside and outside of the Cube-Designer. That program is only a design-tool that allows you to create mondrian schemas - the cube designer is no OLAP server on its own.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

OK, thank you both. This is what I wanted to know - OLAP server is already in Pentaho installation, so there is no need to install Mondrian separately (as I was not able to do so ) if I am able to do everything I need with Cube Designer...

That is indeed correct.

Although you have to remember obviously that cube designer is no front end tool, it doesn't communicate with the mondrian server at all(unless preview has started working) its just a tool to generate the schema files mondrian needs

Tom
    This is a signature.... everyone gets it.

Join the Unofficial Pentaho IRC channel on freenode.
    Server: chat.freenode.net Channel: ##pentaho

Please try and make an effort and search the wiki and forums before posting!
    Checkout the Saiku, the future of Open Source Interactive OLAP(http://analytical-labs.com)

http://mattlittle.files.wordpress.co...-bananaman.jpg