Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Beginner - could use some guidance

Default Beginner - could use some guidance

Ok - so through reading here and the manual (by far pentaho's best documentation to date ) I was able to preform a simple query run against database1 and insert the results into database2 on different servers.

BIG step for us here!

Anyway, my first real task I could use some guidance on how to go about it - what to make a transformation vs job, etc.

Here is the task (this is on a windows box - CSV files are loaded into a folder by another process):

1. Transform files so that only one column of data remains (either A or B - will be transformation specific)
    2. Populate second column (B) with a string of text for each row (same string for every row)
    3. Save processed file in a different folder and delete original file
    4. Before or After step 3, insert rows into a database
    That is all! I know step 4 from the other transformation I did, but am not 100% sure on what steps to use for the rest of the process and would appreciate anyone's help in this learning process.

Thanks!

Default One method

A Transform/Calculator or Transform/Select step could probably be used to choose between A and B in the source, depending on your criteria...

An Input/Generate Rows could generate your new 'B' column...

On the CSV input - can I have it work on any file in the folder or does it have to have a specific name? The files will have a different name each day (date is in the name).

Also, on the Input/Generate rows, I also need to insert the current timestamp in mysql format (yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss) - any input on how to accomplish this?

Actually it appears as though generate rows won't work - because it [obviously] generates rows, not columns.

Further help is much appreciated.

edit: AH! Add Constants is what I needed - now how do I add a date field w/ the current datestamp within the add constants?
    Last edited by elgabito; 04-10-2008 at 01:30 PM.

Use "Get System Info" step.

Regards,
    Sven

Quote Originally Posted by sboden View Post

Regards,
    Sven
    nvm - got it
    Last edited by elgabito; 04-10-2008 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sboden View Post

Regards,
    Sven

Thanks! It wasn't working earlier - but now it is working perfectly!

Ok - almost got it. Last question (hopefully).

When I get to the delete files step - it gives me the following errors:

Code:
    2008/04/10 16:19:03 - Delete original files - Processing argument [C:\Documents and Settings\k.b\My Documents\Connection Device Disconnects\Alltel Unprocessed].. wildcard [.*.csv] ?
    2008/04/10 16:19:03 - Delete original files - Processing folder [C:\Documents and Settings\k.b\My Documents\Connection Device Disconnects\Alltel Unprocessed]
    2008/04/10 16:19:03 - org.pentaho.di.job.entries.deletefiles.JobEntryDeleteFiles$TextFileSelector@ae2d66 - Deleting file [file:///C:/Documents and Settings/k.b/My Documents/Connection Device Disconnects/Alltel Unprocessed/Alltel_032508.csv] ...
    2008/04/10 16:19:03 - org.pentaho.di.job.entries.deletefiles.JobEntryDeleteFiles$TextFileSelector@ae2d66 - Deleting file [file:///C:/Documents and Settings/k.b/My Documents/Connection Device Disconnects/Alltel Unprocessed/alltel_040108.csv] ...
    2008/04/10 16:19:03 - Delete original files - ERROR (version 3.0.2, build 538 from 2008/02/06 13:13:19) : Could not process [C:\Documents and Settings\k.b\My Documents\Connection Device Disconnects\Alltel Unprocessed], exception: Could not delete "file:///C:/Documents and Settings/k.b/My Documents/Connection Device Disconnects/Alltel Unprocessed/Alltel_032508.csv".
    I am running Windows XP Pro - I wouldn't think it would be a permissions issue...?

edit: Looks very similar to this:

http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=53862

I can't tell if it was ever resolved.
    Last edited by elgabito; 04-10-2008 at 04:41 PM.