Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Anybody using Oracle as metadata store?

Default Anybody using Oracle as metadata store?

I'm trying to do that and failing (I have another post about that). I've tried pretty much everything I can think of, without success.

So now, I'm just trying to verify that somebody has actually done it.

Thanks,
    - Rick

Hey there

I am also still fairly new to Pentaho, but as part of my analysis of the tool, I have set up a repository on both Sequel Server and Oracle.

Whats the problem?

I'm getting a "missing schema authorization clause" when it (I assume) tries to initialize the repository. I posted the details on another thread - Using Oracle as data store: ORA-02420: missing schema authorization clause at
    http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=60968.

I'd be interested to see what your repository.properties file looks like for your Oracle setup.

Thanks,
    - Rick

Can I ask why you would want to do this? What benefit does this give?

I'm wondering if it would be useful for us, but i'm not entirely sure what the purpose is!

Thanks!
    Dan

You mean, why do I want to use Oracle as the data store, as opposed to XML files on the file system? We're contemplating using Pentaho as a component of a larger product in which all our other data (and metadata) will reside in an Oracle DB.

Or are you asking why I'm doing it that way? The answer to this one is that I don't know any better and the limited documentation I found didn't give me any better guidance.

- Rick

ah i see, so other parts of your product will read the metadata beyond pentaho and the editor. Sounds pretty cool..

For us we dont have anything else that needs to read the metadata, so i'm happy to stick with the XML files - although all our data is in the oracle.

Default create oracle user syntax

Which version of Oracle are you using for your repository? And which syntax did you use to create the kettle repository schema? I have mutiple repositories in my Oracle 10g database (Prod, QA and Dev). I first created a kettle_data tablespace. The I created a kettledev user with the CONNECT role and the system privileges: create procedure, create view, create table, create session, create sequence, create type and create trigger. Looks something like this:

CREATE USER "KETTLEDEV" PROFILE "DEFAULT"
    IDENTIFIED BY "KETTLEDEV" DEFAULT TABLESPACE "KETTLE_DATA"
    TEMPORARY TABLESPACE "MTEMP1"
    QUOTA UNLIMITED
    ON "KETTLE_DATA"
    ACCOUNT UNLOCK;
    GRANT CREATE PROCEDURE TO "KETTLEDEV";
    GRANT CREATE SEQUENCE TO "KETTLEDEV";
    GRANT CREATE SESSION TO "KETTLEDEV";
    GRANT CREATE SYNONYM TO "KETTLEDEV";
    GRANT CREATE TABLE TO "KETTLEDEV";
    GRANT CREATE TRIGGER TO "KETTLEDEV";
    GRANT CREATE TYPE TO "KETTLEDEV";
    GRANT CREATE VIEW TO "KETTLEDEV";
    GRANT "CONNECT" TO "KETTLEDEV";

When you launch Kettle create a new repository and create a new database connection for the repository.