Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Report Designer parameter

Default Report Designer parameter

Hello

I'm trying to create a new report using Report Designer.

The report needs to have an input parameter.

Any idea how to do this?

thanks in advance

Yeah in the xaction editor create the parameter and pass it to the report, then in the reports xml call similar to how you would in an xaction with a ${parametername}

Tom
    This is a signature.... everyone gets it.

Join the Unofficial Pentaho IRC channel on freenode.
    Server: chat.freenode.net Channel: ##pentaho

Please try and make an effort and search the wiki and forums before posting!
    Checkout the Saiku, the future of Open Source Interactive OLAP(http://analytical-labs.com)

http://mattlittle.files.wordpress.co...-bananaman.jpg

Red face It feels like greek sometimes...

bugg_tb, that was exactly what I was looking for. But I feel a bit at lost... Please, can you help me?

1. XAction Editor = Design Studio?

2. Where do I look at to learn how to "create the parameter"? (or else, where to search for it, what words, what application?)

3. "in the reports xml call similar to how you would in an xaction with a ${parametername}"
    3.1. I understand "reports xml" as the XML generated by Report Design Wizard. Is that right?
    3.2. "call similar" = SQL command? (I mean, do I format my SQL using the ${parametername} somewhere?)

Any help is welcome. I could overcome the dificulties in learning the PCI and its interaction with some apps (like the Report Design Wizard, the Metadata Editor and the Design Studio, besides Kettle - pretty easy - but now I want to go to the next level).

Fábio
    São Paulo/Brazil

Yeah sorry Xaction editor is the design studio

Where in the design studio you need to create and assign an input variable, then you need to give it a value, and then pass it to the report via the reporting step that generates your report. There will be a big empty box which allows you to add input variables.

then in the your report's xml add $(theassignedvariablesname)

3.1 yes that is right

3.2 Well you need to assign the variable a value some how using one of the supplied processes in the Xaction. Look at some of the demo samples for a better idea about how it all fits together.

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by fconsult View Post
    bugg_tb, that was exactly what I was looking for. But I feel a bit at lost... Please, can you help me?

1. XAction Editor = Design Studio?

2. Where do I look at to learn how to "create the parameter"? (or else, where to search for it, what words, what application?)

3. "in the reports xml call similar to how you would in an xaction with a ${parametername}"
    3.1. I understand "reports xml" as the XML generated by Report Design Wizard. Is that right?
    3.2. "call similar" = SQL command? (I mean, do I format my SQL using the ${parametername} somewhere?)

Any help is welcome. I could overcome the dificulties in learning the PCI and its interaction with some apps (like the Report Design Wizard, the Metadata Editor and the Design Studio, besides Kettle - pretty easy - but now I want to go to the next level).

Fábio
    São Paulo/Brazil
    This is a signature.... everyone gets it.

Join the Unofficial Pentaho IRC channel on freenode.
    Server: chat.freenode.net Channel: ##pentaho

Please try and make an effort and search the wiki and forums before posting!
    Checkout the Saiku, the future of Open Source Interactive OLAP(http://analytical-labs.com)

http://mattlittle.files.wordpress.co...-bananaman.jpg