Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Moving from other open source to Pentaho

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7

    Question Moving from other open source to Pentaho

    Hello,

    Does somebody turns to Pentaho recently, moving from another open source Solution ?

    I'm currently trying to move our SpagoBI platforms to Pentaho, and I would like some feedbacks about the migration...

    For the ones asking themselves why we trying to to move to Pentaho, the reasons are mainly because SpagoBI :
    • does not support recent application server
    • does not have docs up to date, and sometimes those ones are badly wrong
    • does not have an active community
    Thanks for your feedbacks about your migration from any open source BI to Pentaho !

    - Steph

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steph33560 View Post
    Does somebody turns to Pentaho recently, moving from another open source Solution ?
    No but I'll give you my thoughts anyway
    For the ones asking themselves why we trying to to move to Pentaho, the reasons are mainly because SpagoBI :
    • does not support recent application server
    • does not have docs up to date, and sometimes those ones are badly wrong
    • does not have an active community
    Thanks for your feedbacks about your migration from any open source BI to Pentaho !

    - Steph
    In regard to your points, well the app server is very much dependent on what you choose to run at the end of the day most sysadmins end up doing a manual install and setup their own Tomcat/Jboss/glassfish etc so its as up to date as you make it.
    Yeah its not contested, pentaho has documentation issues, but they are moving to resolve those problems and its improving all the time.
    The community is very active you'll constantly find people on here, also if you check the details in my sig, the IRC channel is pretty active and regularly has members of the Pentaho Dev team hanging out in there. Also there is a meet in europe in June which many of us are attending. So its a very good community. And at the end of the day if you want more support, buy a subscription

    Tom
    This is a signature.... everyone gets it.

    Join the Unofficial Pentaho IRC channel on freenode.
    Server: chat.freenode.net Channel: ##pentaho

    Please try and make an effort and search the wiki and forums before posting!
    Checkout the Saiku, the future of Open Source Interactive OLAP(http://analytical-labs.com)

    http://mattlittle.files.wordpress.co...-bananaman.jpg

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Thanks Tom for your answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by bugg_tb View Post
    In regard to your points, well the app server is very much dependent on what you choose to run at the end of the day
    What do you want to say with "at the end of the day"?

    Quote Originally Posted by bugg_tb View Post
    most sysadmins end up doing a manual install and setup their own Tomcat/Jboss/glassfish etc so its as up to date as you make it.
    That's exactly one of the points I must clear in my current job.

    Quote Originally Posted by bugg_tb View Post
    Yeah its not contested, pentaho has documentation issues, but they are moving to resolve those problems and its improving all the time.
    That's not a problem if it's updated, or if all the community help to solve some issues

    Quote Originally Posted by bugg_tb View Post
    The community is very active you'll constantly find people on here, also if you check the details in my sig, the IRC channel is pretty active and regularly has members of the Pentaho Dev team hanging out in there.
    I'm very pleased to know there's an IRC server.
    We may see us here soon.

    Quote Originally Posted by bugg_tb View Post
    Also there is a meet in europe in June which many of us are attending.
    Nice !

    Quote Originally Posted by bugg_tb View Post
    And at the end of the day if you want more support, buy a subscription
    First, maybe I misunderstand the sentence "at the end of the day", so my answer might be not in the same way you thought this sentence...

    I said we tried to move ot Pentaho : thus, we don't want to buy something that would be useless... The goal of my current job is to see if the migration is possible, in which limits, with which losses, etc.

    Anyway, if buying a suscription is the only way to have some clues, especially in the way to push us to adopt quickly Pentaho, then it might be useless to have this forum and this IRC channel... I hopefully hope it's not the case !

    - Steph
    Last edited by steph33560; 04-23-2008 at 11:36 AM.

  4. #4

    Default

    Ignore my end of the day quote I was just making the point you run what you want. No buying it is far from the only way of trying it out, make sure you keep asking questions and look through the wiki although it is hard to navigate. and most importantly of all grab a copy of the Pre Configured Install and have a play around with the demo stuff to see what it can do.

    For a quick tour it splits down into 3(ish) sections

    Kettle - The ETL tool
    JFreeReport/JFreeChart - The reporting side of things
    and Mondrian and JPivot - The MDX and drill down capability.

    Obviously there are far more end user tools, and other sub projects, but they are the core projects that make up Pentaho.

    Tom
    This is a signature.... everyone gets it.

    Join the Unofficial Pentaho IRC channel on freenode.
    Server: chat.freenode.net Channel: ##pentaho

    Please try and make an effort and search the wiki and forums before posting!
    Checkout the Saiku, the future of Open Source Interactive OLAP(http://analytical-labs.com)

    http://mattlittle.files.wordpress.co...-bananaman.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Privacy Policy | Legal Notices | Safe Harbor Privacy Policy

Copyright © 2005 - 2019 Hitachi Vantara Corporation. All Rights Reserved.