Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: sample Dashboard

Unhappy sample Dashboard

Hi all

I am trying to create a dashbioard and was trying to understand its flow from sample dashboard provided in samples.

I understood everything except one thing, where is JSP file for dashbord home page is located. I could only find SampleDashboard.url but not code behind it.

can you please guide me to relevant document so that i can move on with building my dashboard.

Its urgent.

Its always urgent!
    This is a signature.... everyone gets it.

Join the Unofficial Pentaho IRC channel on freenode.
    Server: chat.freenode.net Channel: ##pentaho

Please try and make an effort and search the wiki and forums before posting!
    Checkout the Saiku, the future of Open Source Interactive OLAP(http://analytical-labs.com)

http://mattlittle.files.wordpress.co...-bananaman.jpg

Hi

Yes, I Know That I Should Search And Try To Find Out Solution Before Posting And This Really Is What I Have Done.

I Have Been Searching And Trying Out Things For Past 3 Days But Needed A Right Pointer.

All Action Sequences And Their Working Is Understood.

But What One Of Documentation Said Was Not Something Which Matched With Actuals. Acc To One Document, There Must Be 2 Files For Every Dashboard Created, Index.html And Template.html But I Could Not Find Any Of Those In Sample Solution Folder List.

So Main Question That I Have Is , From Where The Home Page Of Dashboard Is Invoked Because That Will Decide Which Action Sequence To Call There After.

I Am Still Searching For The Way Out But Meanwhile If Someone Can Put Some More Light On This, It Will Be Helpfull.

Well I know nothing about JSP based dashboards as I use this:
    http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/COM/...ho+BI+Platform

If you're in a hurry to create dashboards it great, as it only uses HTML and Javascript

Tom

Checkout the Saiku, the future of Open Source Interactive OLAP(http://analytical-labs.com)

Hi,

you will find the JSP page in the jsp folder of the pentaho web application.

Regards,
    Ingo

Hi INGO

I tried to find but the page is not there under JSP folder.jsp folder contains only 2 files, embedded_report.xml and embedded_report.xaction.

here are details :-

Two xaction files are present in dashboard folder.
    department_variance_data.xaction and
    regions_headcount_data.xaction.

Embedded_report.xml and its xaction file is present in jsp folder.

but main jsp which is dashboard.jsp is not present in jsp folder. This is main jsp which will call subsequent pages.

also as per document Dashboard building guide, http://localhost:8080/pentaho/jsp/sampledashboard.jsp does not contain anything.

i need to call http://localhost:8080/pentaho/sampledashboard to reach homepage.

i am working with pentaho 1.6 version.

My dashboard is stuck because of this.

can you please put some more light on this.

Hi,

you are confusing me. Are trying to use the framework which I described my article or are you talking about the sample dashboard that is provided by Pentaho? These are two different approaches to build dashboards with Pentaho. Dashboards.jsp belongs to the framework. SampleDashboard.jsp is used by Pentaho for their sample Dashboard which runs totally independent from the framework.

In any case, all JSP files will be in a folder called "jsp", which is in the pentaho web application folder which is called "pentaho" and resides in your JBoss or Tomcat webapps fodler. The JSP-files are NOT in the solutions folder, in which you will find all the xaction-files etc. Just use a file search on your computer to find the JSP files.

Regarding this URL: sampledashboard.jsp if you have a look at the web.xml of the pentaho weba pplication, you will see that it is mapped to "Sampledashboard", that's why you need to use http://localhost:8080/pentaho/sampledashboard and not http://localhost:8080/pentaho/jsp/sampledashboard.jsp.

Well, I hope I could shed some light.

Regards,
    Ingo

Hi

You definitely did. I was not able to find this jsp file. Now i can move on with my dashboard.

One more question, do we always keep all such JSP's in same location?

thank very much Ingo.

Just one point, dont you think that this process is bit dificult for a BI person to follow? with all this JSP's and HTML's and XML's.

Is pentaho planning to come up with any simpler interface for this?

Thanks again.

nik..

That's why "someone" went through the trouble of making a dashboard framework, I'm sure Ingo would agree
    Pedro Alves
    Meet us on ##pentaho, a FreeNode irc channel

Default Help with Dashboard Framework

Hi pmalves / ingo.klose / bugg_tb...

I am trying to follow Ingo's Dashboard Framework... and have downloaded the required files... reading the "readme.txt", could you clarify / advise:

Dashboard Framework installation:

1. Copy Dashboard.jsp in Pentaho web app JSP-folder
    <<< Please advise the path... >>>

2. Map new Dashboard.jsp in web.xml according to other Pentaho JSP pages
    <<<
    In the web.xml...Should I map in:
    <!-- Pentaho JSP Mappings -->
    <servlet>
    <servlet-name>Chart</servlet-name>
    <jsp-file>/jsp/Chart.jsp</jsp-file>
    </servlet>
    <servlet>
    <servlet-name>MySampleDashboards</servlet-name>
    <jsp-file>/jsp/Dashboard.jsp</jsp-file>
    </servlet>

OR should I map in:
    <!-- Pentaho JSPs -->
    <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>Chart</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/Chart</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>MySampleDashboards</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/MySampleDashboards</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>
    >>>>

3. Copy dashboard-links.xsl into pentaho-solutions/system/custom/xsl
    <<< Clear enough... >>>

4. Copy template-dashboard.html into pentaho-solutions/system/custom
    <<< Clear enough... >>>

5. Copy dashboards solution into pentaho-solutions folder
    <<< My path would be ...\bi-server\pentaho-solutions ... correct? >>>

P.s.: The graph components only work when a Pentaho Version > 1.5.4 with Graph Engine improvements.

I am using Pentaho BI Platform 1.6.0.GA.863... will the graph components work for me?

Finally, can any one advise if there is a document/framwork on dashboards such as the one that exists in the Portal http://127.0.0.1:8080/portal/auth/po...taho/Dashboard?

Sorry for the newbie questions.... Regards, DMurray3

DMurray3, just do it by analogy.

Pick a .jsp file (you mentioned Chart.jsp, fine, use that) and do exactly the same! Same configurations, same places, it's not hard.

And I refuse to answer to that graph component question
    Pedro Alves

Hey pmalves.... I did it on basis of analogy.... sorry the graph question may have sounded out of line...

I followed the Readme.text instructions... everything works, except:

The DepartmentDialChart.xaction in the "Pentaho Sample" is generating the following error:

Failed[es_161] Error: RuntimeContext.ERROR_0018 - [es_39] The requested parameter REGION could not be fulfilled (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)[es_116] Debug: [es_21] Starting execute of dashboards/pentaho_sample_dashboard/DepartmentDialChart.xaction (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_30] Getting runtime context and data (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_33] Loading action sequence definition file (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)
    [es_116] Debug: SolutionRepository.DEBUG_FILE_PATH - [es_35] getFile path=C:\PentahoTWO\bi-server\pentaho-solutions\dashboards\pentaho_sample_dashboard\DepartmentDialChart.xaction (org.pentaho.repository.filebased.solution.SolutionRepository)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_23] Adding variable source request to parameter REGION (org.pentaho.repository.filebased.solution.SolutionRepository)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_23] Adding variable source request to parameter DEPARTMENT (org.pentaho.repository.filebased.solution.SolutionRepository)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_34] audit: instanceId=4412777b-1bbe-11dd-badc-530ea64040f4, objectId=org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext, messageType=action_sequence_start (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_1] validateComponent validating component SQLLookupRule (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_75] Validating component for action DepartmentDialChart.xaction (org.pentaho.plugin.sql.SQLLookupRule)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_1] validateComponent validating component JavascriptRule (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_75] Validating component for action DepartmentDialChart.xaction (org.pentaho.plugin.javascript.JavascriptRule)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_1] validateComponent validating component ChartComponent (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_75] Validating component for action DepartmentDialChart.xaction (org.pentaho.plugin.jfreechart.ChartComponent)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_42] Executing action sequence (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_161] Error: RuntimeContext.ERROR_0018 - [es_39] The requested parameter REGION could not be fulfilled (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_34] audit: instanceId=4412777b-1bbe-11dd-badc-530ea64040f4, objectId=org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext, messageType=action_sequence_failed (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_161] Error: RuntimeContext.ERROR_0013 - [es_29] Parameters could not be resolved (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_161] Error: SolutionEngine.ERROR_0007 - [es_27] Action sequence execution failed (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)

[es_41] Server Version Pentaho BI Platform 1.6.0.GA.863
    ---

The http://127.0.0.1:8080/pentaho/ViewAc...etails.xaction

is not working either; the screen only shows the "title" (ie "Customer Order Details").

I'd appreciate any asistance or pointing me towards how to correct these two problems -if some one else had this same problem.

Thanks, Daniel
    Last edited by DMurray3; 05-06-2008 at 07:12 PM. Reason: To correct typos and provide further info

Quote Originally Posted by DMurray3 View Post
    Hey pmalves.... I did it on basis of analogy.... sorry the graph question may have sounded out of line...
    It wasn't out of line, just, you do know what a greater than sign looks like don't you?

Tom

Hi Daniel,

it looks like the dial action sequence has a problem with the parameter REGION. Check the template.html and look for the call to that action sequence. Make sure the parameter names ,atch the ones in the action sequence.
    Your direct access to the dial action sequence won't work because you have not passed any parameter values for REGION and DEPARTMENT, I think.

Regards,
    Ingo

Default Re bugg_tb's reply on Sample Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by bugg_tb View Post
    It wasn't out of line, just, you do know what a greater than sign looks like don't you?

Tom
    Hi Tom... Yes.. I know what a greater than sign looks like... my concern was about the "Grapgh Engine Improvements" and if these in fact were already a part of PCI 1.6...

Default Sample DashBoard - Framework - xaction Region Parameter problem

Quote Originally Posted by ingo.klose View Post
    Hi Daniel,

it looks like the dial action sequence has a problem with the parameter REGION. Check the template.html and look for the call to that action sequence. Make sure the parameter names ,atch the ones in the action sequence.
    Your direct access to the dial action sequence won't work because you have not passed any parameter values for REGION and DEPARTMENT, I think.

Regards,
    Ingo
    Thanks Ingo... I´ll take a look as you recommend... and will let you know.... Rgds, Daniel

Default Dashboard Framework - Sample Case - I'm missing something

Hi Ingo...

I have followed the framework word-by-word... all files are where they are supposed to be...I created the template.html file as indicated...
    (enclosed what I have done so far...)

Please don´t laugh...
    1) Where is the folder/button to execute the dashboard?
    2) What is the "folder.xml" file for?

Thanks and regards, Daniel
    Last edited by DMurray3; 05-12-2008 at 09:30 PM.

Hi Ingo...

Again.. please do not laugh... (especially you pmalves...) I am completely ignorant to dashboards and jsp pages...

I apologize for my previous post.... kindly ignore the previuos message... I found what I looking for... I was misunderstanding that the Dashboard.jsp page was a "content" in the "solution" browser... (as if it were a report, JPivot view, etc.) when in fact what I needed to do was was to navigate to:

http://127.0.0.1:8080/pentaho/Dashboards

Ok.. I'm that far now... and can now turn to seeing why the DepartmentDialChart.xaction (Pentaho Sample) and the OrderDetails.xaction (SteelWheels Sample) are not working...

I remember seeing a thread asking if instead of having to type in the above http address, there was a way to have a shortcut in Pentaho (maybe in the "Navigate" drop down list or among the "Solution folders") to expediently navigate to the Dashboards JSP page...

Can you advise? Many Thanks... Daniel

hahahahahahhahaha, no only joking

Create a .url file in your solution repo pointing to the url you want, for other examples just search your pentaho installation and you will see some examples.

Tom

Thanks for not laughing too hard...

... I've got the Dashboard Framework working... will start working on resolving the couple of xactions included in Ingo's examples...which are resulting in errors...

Regards, Daniel

Ah sorry my mistake I thought you'd fixed the dodgy xactions. Turn up the logging and check the logs, they just behave like normal xactions so look in the usual places to try and figure out why the aren't working, JNDI names, sample data loaded etc.

Tom

Hi Daniel,

glad that it is working now.

I must admit, the folder.xml file is a leftover from debugging the XSL-stylesheet and actually has no business there.

I guess nobody really noticed it sitting there or since it did not break anything nobody bothered to mention it.

Glad you got the rest working.

Regards,
    Ingo

Quote Originally Posted by DMurray3 View Post

I apologize for my previous post.... kindly ignore the previuos message... I found what I looking for... I was misunderstanding that the Dashboard.jsp page was a "content" in the "solution" browser... (as if it were a report, JPivot view, etc.) when in fact what I needed to do was was to navigate to:

http://127.0.0.1:8080/pentaho/Dashboards
    Don't take ours posts so seriously, Daniel

But the first time I installed the dashboard I also stumbled into this! I add all working and spent some time till I found how that, to use it, all I needed to do was navigating to the jsp
    Pedro Alves

Default Dashboard FrameWork - Sample Case - Execution Errors

Hi Tom/Ingo/pmalves...

When running the Pentaho Sample dashboard, the DepartmentDialChart.xaction is throwing the following error

Code:
    [es_161] Error: RuntimeContext.ERROR_0012 - [es_33] ActionDefinition for SQLLookupRule did not execute successfully (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_21] Starting execute of dashboards/pentaho_sample_dashboard/DepartmentDialChart.xaction (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_30] Getting runtime context and data (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_33] Loading action sequence definition file (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)
    [es_116] Debug: SolutionRepository.DEBUG_FILE_PATH - [es_35] getFile path=C:\PentahoTWO\bi-server\pentaho-solutions\dashboards\pentaho_sample_dashboard\DepartmentDialChart.xaction (org.pentaho.repository.filebased.solution.SolutionRepository)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_23] Adding variable source request to parameter REGION (org.pentaho.repository.filebased.solution.SolutionRepository)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_23] Adding variable source request to parameter DEPARTMENT (org.pentaho.repository.filebased.solution.SolutionRepository)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_34] audit: instanceId=d1affddc-1d1a-11dd-88de-8d0fc4c3fa55, objectId=org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext, messageType=action_sequence_start (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_1] validateComponent validating component SQLLookupRule (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_75] Validating component for action DepartmentDialChart.xaction (org.pentaho.plugin.sql.SQLLookupRule)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_1] validateComponent validating component JavascriptRule (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_75] Validating component for action DepartmentDialChart.xaction (org.pentaho.plugin.javascript.JavascriptRule)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_1] validateComponent validating component ChartComponent (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_75] Validating component for action DepartmentDialChart.xaction (org.pentaho.plugin.jfreechart.ChartComponent)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_42] Executing action sequence (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_24] Executing action definition: Iteration 0 (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_34] audit: instanceId=d1affddc-1d1a-11dd-88de-8d0fc4c3fa55, objectId=SQLLookupRule, messageType=component_execution_started (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_3] execute pre-audit (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_21] Setting component log level to DEBUG (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_11] Initializing component (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_4] executeComponent starting audited execute (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_116] Debug: SolutionRepository.DEBUG_FILE_PATH - [es_35] getFile path=C:\PentahoTWO\bi-server\pentaho-solutions (org.pentaho.repository.filebased.solution.SolutionRepository)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_94] execute validation=true (org.pentaho.plugin.sql.SQLLookupRule)
    [es_116] Debug: Ejecutando consulta - select ROUND((sum(variance)/ CAST (sum(budget) AS DOUBLE))*100,2) as value, -15 as minimun, 15 as maximum from QUADRANT_ACTUALS where region in( ? ) AND department in (?) (org.pentaho.plugin.sql.SQLLookupRule)
    [es_14] Error: SQLBaseComponent.ERROR_0006 - [es_122] Could not execute DepartmentDialChart.xaction - com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'DOUBLE))*100,2) as value, -15 as minimun, 15 as maximum from QUADRANT_ACTUALS wh' at line 1 (org.pentaho.plugin.sql.SQLLookupRule)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_15] executeComponent finished audited execute (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_161] Error: RuntimeContext.ERROR_0012 - [es_33] ActionDefinition for SQLLookupRule did not execute successfully (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_34] audit: instanceId=d1affddc-1d1a-11dd-88de-8d0fc4c3fa55, objectId=org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext, messageType=action_sequence_failed (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_161] Error: SolutionEngine.ERROR_0007 - [es_27] Action sequence execution failed (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)
    I notice the error derives from the SQL used set the chart; I'll take a look at the MySQL manual to see how to correctly set the "CAST.." function. But if you can more quickly identify how to correct, please advise...(ie.. save from having to look for it... just this once..)

When running the SteelWheels sample dashboard, the customer_sales_percentage.xaction is failing to execute and reflects the following error:

Code:
    [es_116] Debug: [es_21] Starting execute of dashboards/steel_wheels_dashboard/customer_sales_percentage.xaction (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)
    [es_116] Debug: SolutionRepository.DEBUG_FILE_PATH - [es_35] getFile path=C:\PentahoTWO\bi-server\pentaho-solutions\dashboards\steel_wheels_dashboard\customer_sales_percentage.xaction (org.pentaho.repository.filebased.solution.SolutionRepository)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_23] Adding variable source request to parameter TERRITORY (org.pentaho.repository.filebased.solution.SolutionRepository)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_17] Adding default value of "Japan" to parameter TERRITORY (org.pentaho.repository.filebased.solution.SolutionRepository)
    [es_116] Debug: [es_34] audit: instanceId=8feb5521-1d1b-11dd-88de-8d0fc4c3fa55, objectId=org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext, messageType=action_sequence_start (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    [es_116] Debug: SolutionRepository.DEBUG_FILE_PATH - [es_35] getFile path=C:\PentahoTWO\bi-server\pentaho-solutions (org.pentaho.repository.filebased.solution.SolutionRepository)
    [es_14] Error: SQLBaseComponent.ERROR_0006 - [es_122] Could not execute customer_sales_percentage.xaction - com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Not unique table/alias: 'CUSTOMERS' (org.pentaho.plugin.sql.SQLLookupRule)
    The problem of the "CUSTOMERS" not unique table/alias... I honestly don't know why is occurring. I have reviewed the sampledata tables in my MySQL DB, and only one table 'CUSTOMERS' exists... Please advise on this.

Finally, please advise if when designing Dashboards following the Framework, their is a way to use "MDXLookupRule" instead of using "SQLLookupRule " and if so, where is there an example I can follow to set the "variable" fields (like PREPARE:{..}).

Again many thanks... Daniel

PD.. I´m not that seriuos... I can take jokes... Thanks for the help and good humor...

I pparently found the mistake in the customer_sales_percentage.xaction...

The query in the xaction shows:
    Code:
    SELECT CUSTOMERS.CUSTOMERNAME as customerName, SUM(ORDERDETAILS.QUANTITYORDERED*ORDERDETAILS.PRICEEACH) as SOLD_PRICE FROM ORDERS
    INNER JOIN CUSTOMERS ON ORDERS.CUSTOMERNUMBER = CUSTOMERS.CUSTOMERNUMBER 
    INNER JOIN ORDERDETAILS ON ORDERS.ORDERNUMBER = ORDERDETAILS.ORDERNUMBER 
    INNER JOIN PRODUCTS ON ORDERDETAILS.PRODUCTCODE =PRODUCTS.PRODUCTCODE 
    INNER JOIN CUSTOMERS ON ORDERS.CUSTOMERNUMBER =CUSTOMERS.CUSTOMERNUMBER 
    INNER JOIN EMPLOYEES ON CUSTOMERS.SALESREPEMPLOYEENUMBER = EMPLOYEES.EMPLOYEENUMBER 
    INNER JOIN OFFICES ON EMPLOYEES.OFFICECODE=OFFICES.OFFICECODE 
    WHERE OFFICES.TERRITORY = {PREPARE:TERRITORY}
    GROUP BY CUSTOMERS.CUSTOMERNAME ORDER BY 1 ASC
    Notice that the highlighted INNER JOIN is duplicated.

Eliminating the duplicated INNER JOIN, get the steelwheel dashboard to work...

Regards, Daniel

I found the error to correct the DepartmentDialChart.xaction.

I don't understand why the query uses the CAST() function, given that the 'budget' column is numeric, and in any event, the result of 'variance / budget' is going to be rounded off to two decimal places.

I have modified the query to read:

select ROUND((sum(variance) / sum(budget))*100, 2) as value, -15 as minimun, 15 as maximum
    from QUADRANT_ACTUALS
    where region in( {PREPARE:REGION} ) AND department in ({PREPAREEPARTMENT})

And... vuola!!! the dashboard works....

Now, only thing left is to get some feedback on how to use / where are there examples of the MDXLookupRule... and I'm off to Dashboard building...

Hope the above helps anyone with the same problems...

Regards, Daniel

Its odd how your queries didn't work as I've not seen anyone else with similar problems. One of life's great mysteries.

Tom

In the SteelWheels sample dashboad (in Ingo's Framework), the "report" for Customer Order Details is generated but the "productname" (1st column) is not listing the individual product names, but instead is showing "-" for every order... I am trying to see where the problem could be, but given I cannot open the "report" using the ReportDesigner, in which of the "order_details.." files should I look to see where the problem could be?
    As a test I replicated the query used in xaction file and confirm I get the product names....

Again many thanks... Daniel

Found a good post by Will Gorman on MDXLookup Rule using parameters in MDX....

http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread...+MDXLookupRule

by the way... I did make the effort and searched....