Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Technical Prerequisites/ System Requirements

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Technical Prerequisites/ System Requirements

Hi everyone,

What are all the technical Prerequisites and system requirements (OS, RAM, HARDDISK SIZE) for getting pentaho components installed?

Where can i find them?

Thanks,
    Meena

Firstly, understand that Pentaho requires the (Sun) JRE to run, so theoretically, it can run where the JRE can run. So Linux, FreeBSD, Windows are all in the loop here.

I can't say exactly what the minimum RAM is. I ran in on an old laptop with 256M RAM running Linux. Your mileage may vary. But to run a decent environment, I would suggest around 2G RAM.

I would keep aside about 2G of disk for your entire suite.

Crafter has given a pretty decent run down and this is a pretty common question. At the end of the day it depends on what you have available and what needs you need to fulfill. For example I have a Quad Core Xeon with 4GB Ram running the frontend, and a Dual Proc, Dual Core PC with 8GB of ram running the databases, with 160GB of disk space running on a mirrored array, but thats probably overkill for most.

That said you don't want to start JBoss on a machine with 128Mb ram, where as you may just get away with it with tomcat. So there are ways and means around it and really the only limits are how much data you need to process and how quickly.

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by meenaiyer View Post
    Hi everyone,

What are all the technical Prerequisites and system requirements (OS, RAM, HARDDISK SIZE) for getting pentaho components installed?

Where can i find them?

Thanks,
    Meena
    This is a signature.... everyone gets it.

Join the Unofficial Pentaho IRC channel on freenode.
    Server: chat.freenode.net Channel: ##pentaho

Please try and make an effort and search the wiki and forums before posting!
    Checkout the Saiku, the future of Open Source Interactive OLAP(http://analytical-labs.com)

http://mattlittle.files.wordpress.co...-bananaman.jpg