Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Report versioning

Default Report versioning

Hi,

We deliver our reports as a package in a zip file to the test team. the zip filename has the version in it.

What i want to know is does anyone have any ideas how I can display the version in the report? I guess the way to do this is to do a search and replace of the text of the version in the report xml when i'm building the zip? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Dan

Well, there is no built-in functionality (obviously, as zip-packaging is not a official strategy prior to version 0.8.10).

However, the report itself contains the ResourceKey that was used to load the report (in case you do not use custom SAX-InputSources), which contains the URL or File that was the source of the XML. You can extract this information using a report-function. An other strategy, assuming that your report-xml generation and zipping is somewhat coupled, is to define the version number as report-property in the report. You can either predefine the same number in the report and the ZIP file or you can use some special token as value for the report property which you then can replace with a simple search-and-replace strategy. Report properties then can be accessed like any other ordinary fieldname.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

zip packaging a feature? Zip packaging as i described it is a process we've invented.

We basically tag all the files which make up a "report" i.e. the action sequences, report xml, images, and .report source and then zip it all up ready to be deployed. Anyway i think the solutuion is to do a search and replace in the xml of a report at this zipping up stage.

Thanks!
    Dan

I believe taqua was referring to the crazy new OpenOffice(or something similar) file format
    This is a signature.... everyone gets it.

Join the Unofficial Pentaho IRC channel on freenode.
    Server: chat.freenode.net Channel: ##pentaho

Please try and make an effort and search the wiki and forums before posting!
    Checkout the Saiku, the future of Open Source Interactive OLAP(http://analytical-labs.com)

http://mattlittle.files.wordpress.co...-bananaman.jpg

0.8.10 ships with ODF support as its new default fileformat, which means that a report-zip (using that term loosely here) contains all the resources it references, including all datasources, parameter definitions and images and so on. This makes the report fully self-contained so that you dont need a XAction for the simple cases (that is: As long as you dont want to preprocess the data-set of the master report). Using the ODF specs as base, the report definitions then also provide document metadata like creation time, author, title etc.

And as this new format is called unified for a reason, .report files will cease to exist with Report-designer 2.0 (which is the first version to use the 0.8.10-engine) and all reporting applications use the single ODF based fileformat as definition. Therefore the publish step will be simplified to a simple copy operation; there is no .xml file generated anymore.

In combination with Mantle, this allows you to deploy and run a report from a single file inside the platform, and still having all the advantages of the platform like scheduling, security, auditing and so on. So there comes the "feature-talk" from: ZIP-packaging is not a supported feature in 0.8.9, but in 0.8.10.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Ah i see, thats great as it really simplifies things conceptually. I imagine that'll make getting started a lot easier for newbies too!