Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Parsing XML files with mutiple "documents"

Default Parsing XML files with mutiple "documents"

I need to parse a log file that contains multiple XML "documents", one per line.
    The file is a repeating set of the same element, but there is no "root" element at the top of the file. Something like:

<element/>
    <element/>
    <element/>
    <element/>

etc.

Is it possible with the streaming xml parser to extract this data?

Thanks
    -bob

DEinspanjer Guest

What you describe is not a valid well-formed XML document. It is a file containing XML fragments.

I don't believe any of the parsing steps read XML fragments. I think I remember seeing something in a blog or forum post about some new functionality in Kettle 3.1 that allows you to concatenate XML blobs together such that you could maybe wrap the fragments in a root node turning it into a well-formed document.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20...ec-well-formed

The "XML Join" step actually : http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/EAI/XML+Join

Default XML Store and Forward

Don't shoot the downstream developer, but we have a file which has an XML message per line similar to the following:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="yes" ?><Party><EnterprisePartyId>16226428</EnterprisePartyId><PartyType>I</PartyType><Source>ADES</Source><SourceId>P840294SUINHSIEH</SourceId><PartyXREF><PartyAlias><Source>ADES</Source><SourceId>P840294SUINHSIEH</SourceId></PartyAlias><PartyAlias><Source>ADES</Source><SourceId>P840294SUINHSIEH</SourceId></PartyAlias></PartyXREF></Party>
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="yes" ?><Party><EnterprisePartyId>16226442</EnterprisePartyId><PartyType>I</PartyType><Source>ADES</Source><SourceId>LV88935LETAGRAYSON</SourceId><PartyXREF><PartyAlias><Source>ADES</Source><SourceId>LV88935LETAGRAYSON</SourceId></PartyAlias><PartyAlias><Source>ADES</Source><SourceId>LV88935PETERGRAYSON</SourceId></PartyAlias><PartyAlias><Source>ADES</Source><SourceId>LV88935PETERGRAYSON</SourceId></PartyAlias><PartyAlias><Source>ADES</Source><SourceId>LV88935LETAGRAYSON</SourceId></PartyAlias><PartyAlias><Source>HUON</Source><SourceId>600076602</SourceId></PartyAlias><PartyAlias><Source>HUON</Source><SourceId>647324601</SourceId></PartyAlias></PartyXREF></Party>
    I have created a Jira entry for an issue I am having, but I am assuming that the approach with PDI is correct. I am using a file input and a Get data from XML step in 3.1. I can't really do this in 3.0 since the XML steps expect a file input. Is this the correct approach?

I would rather have a port reader but the upstream system wants to create the file with the messages. I need to parse the message and store in a database.

Bill W.
    Last edited by billw; 06-23-2008 at 09:42 PM. Reason: wanted to format the xml

Hi,

you can use a simple 'text file input'-step to read the xml documents into a field and then use the 'get data from XML'-step, having the 'xml source is defined in a field' option enabled.

I enclosed a sample with your data.

Regards,
    Ingo
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ingo:

thank you. that is basically what I had done in testing, but I guess the drop down for field is not working? did you manually type in the field name? I created a Jira record since I was not seeing the field in the drop down and I was getting an error when I manually entered the field name. Alas, you have proved that it works as programmed!

this is the transformation that I have been looking for, so thank you to the development team on getting this created! I see a lot of work in the platform with XML data streams/files which is great!

Bill

Hi Bill,

it works for me ok. What version are you using? I used various 3.1 milestones and they all had no problem to display the available fields in the drop down.

Glad that it helped anyway.

Regards,
    Ingo

I am using 3.1 M2. I am on MacOS X 10.5.3 (Matt, don't scream) with
    java version "1.5.0_13"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_13-b05-237)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_13-119, mixed mode, sharing)

Not sure it is a platform thing or not. I will try in Windows.

Bill

OSX works fine these days.