Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: handling null output

Default handling null output

Hi All

I have a transformation that includes a database lookup step that occasionally returns no rows (this is expected and acceptable behaviour). I'd like to know how I can test for this and use that test to influence another branch of the transformation. At the moment I have a stream lookup that breaks due to the null output.

Any ideas gratefully accepted. I'm using 3.1.0-M1.

Cheers
    Kyle

try a "filter rows" step after the "database lookup" step,
    regards

Hi Maria

Thanks for your reply.

I tried that but there are no rows to filter. In the step metrics report there are no rows produced from the lookup so nothing to filter on.

At the moment I inject a dummy row with Generate Rows into the transformation to keep it from crashing but this is less than elegant and offers no control over the other branches.

Cheers
    Kyle

Can you attach your transformation, and the log file of what you get.

Regards,
    Sven

Hi Sven

transformation and log attached. I warn you, it's not pretty

Cheers
    Kyle
    Attached Files Attached Files

ouch!
    before I die trying to understand....

which one is the database lookup we're talking about?

OK, brief(ish) explanation.

We have a spreadsheet with barcodes and other product information at input_sheet which we want to check against our product catalogue to see whether we already stock the products or not.

Check_for_matches does this but only brings back the first match. We have some duplicate issues with our data so Pull_Dupes queries the spreadsheet against a view of these duplicates on our database. If there are duplicates these are output at the end of the Duplicates output branch. The barcodes from these are then used in the Check_Against_Dupes step so that the same products do not appear in the Matches output step. That way we check our current data is correct for the 1:1 matches on one spreadsheet and we get a chance to sort out the duplicates on a second spreadsheet.

If there are no duplicates, however, there are no rows produced by the Pull_Dupes step. This causes the whole process to collapse at Check_Against_Dupes. Ideally what I'd like to do is detect that there are no rows from Pull_Dupes and allow the other branch to skip the Check_Against_Dupes step and go straight from Check_For_Matches to Filter rows.

An IF...Then statement should do the trick but I can't see anywhere to put one...

I've attached my workaround (adding a Generate Rows step to produce a dummy record) but this is not exactly elegant and does not give me any control over the other branch.

Cheers for any help.

Kyle

For the original .ktr file...

- You didn't fill in the lookup step (drop down box) in the "check for dupes" step... that's also in the log file.
    - I would think stream lookup first reads all of the lookup data and then only starts processing real input. In your case this may work (if you fill in the drop down at least in check for dupes), but in other cases it may deadlock.

Qua number of steps... I used to "threaten" people to physically throw something at them if they used more than 10 steps in a single transformation Things work better if you work in small "steps" than the"blobbish" approach.

Regards,
    Sven

Kyle, while you're at it, remove that "Append streams" step from the transformation.
    Odds are high that you don't need to append the streams in a particular order and it might block your transformation.

Hi All

Sorry it's a bit messy but I've only be using Spoon for a week...

I guess I ought to split up the different streams into separate transformations and bolt them all together in a job?

I've fixed the lookup step issue (ktr attached) but still get the following error:

2008/06/25 13:29:03 - Check_Against_Dupes.0 - ERROR (version 3.1.0-M1, build 688 from 2007/11/14 00:11:43) : Unexpected error :
    2008/06/25 13:29:03 - Check_Against_Dupes.0 - ERROR (version 3.1.0-M1, build 688 from 2007/11/14 00:11:43) : java.lang.NullPointerException

I guess the Check_Against_Dupes step won't run without any rows. If I split the different streams up could I then check for this and set alternative streams from there? Sounds like a plan...

I'll drop the Append streams in the working version and see what happens.

Cheers
    Kyle