Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Clarification needed about Report Designer and xaction editor

Default Clarification needed about Report Designer and xaction editor

Hello,

I've been reading some forum postings about how to pass parameters from the report to the SQL statement so the users can customize and/or filter the results as needed.

I'm really confused by a couple of things though... this post says I need to handle that in the xaction editor:

http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=60678

I've looked at all the menu items in Report Designer and don't see a xaction editor... is that a separate download? Does it integrate with Report Designer?

This forum says one cannot use parameters in Report Designer:

http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=60678

But in this forum:

http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=27283

an author believes there is a way to do a parameter but cannot recall the name of the document which shows folks new to Pentaho how. Googling "Creating Pentaho Solutions Guide" doesn't get me the document this author is referring to.

So, does anyone know of a comprehensive document, link, forum posting, example, etc. which illustrates how someone completely new to the project can run a report which takes user input and pass the input as a parameter to the SQL statement?

Specifically, I have this query:

SELECT * FROM Table1 WHERE COMPLETED_DOCDATE BETWEEN To_Date('2008-01-01 00:00:00', 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS') AND To_Date('2008-06-01 00:00:00', 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS')

I hardcoded the dates in the example... I'd like to make both date arguments to To_Date user selectable values.

Thanks!

Hi,

1. Xactions can not be edited with the report designer. To edit xaction you can either download the Design Studio, which is essentially a Eclipse distribution with a Pentaho Plugin or you can download just the plugin and drop in an existing Eclipse installation. But the report designer creates a standard xaction for you when you publish a report to the BI Server.

2. In the newest version of the Report Designer, which is not officially released, yet. You have the option to add parameters directly when publishing the report to the BI Server. See this document here: http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/Repo...shing+a+Report.

3. If you use an older version of the report designer, which does not support this function, you need to edit the action sequence afterwards, as described in this article: http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/COM/...+Design+Studio

HTH,
    Ingo

Thanks for the reply...

1. I downloaded the Eclipse plugin and cannot get it working. When a xreportspec file, on the Data Source and Query page, and under the Connection Information section, I cannot add a JNDI connection. I can in Report Designer but not in Eclipse (3.2)!

The driver combobox is blank and even if I manually type "oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver" in it still doesn't work (but it does in the standalone Report Designer)

Back to Eclipse, if I contine adding:
    jdbcracle:thin:@<IP>:1521:<SID>
    <username>
    <password>

to the Add JNDI Connection window, I get this error message when I click Test, "An error occurred. The message was".

I've added C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\jdbc\lib\ojdbc14.jar to the Java Build Path in Eclipse and I've specified Java 6.0 on Eclipse’s Java Compiler properties page.

I'd prefer to use Eclipse as that is the IDE we use for the rest of our development. But I just cannot get it running.

Hi,

Your post is a tiny bit ;-) confusing, but I try to help you out anyway.

1. You do not set up any JNDI connections in the Design Studio. You have to set them up on the Application Server, that the Pentaho BI Plattform runs on. In the Design Studio you reference the JNDI name only. Alternatively you can use a JDBC connection directly form the design studio, without JNDI.

2. How about you have a look at the action sequence of a running report first, maybe then it becomes clearer how it all works.

3. If you still have trouble, try to post your action sequences in the thread. It is always easier to help if you have more details.

Regards,
    Ingo

P.s.: Here is a link to the getting started guide of the desing studio..that might help, too.

I downloaded the Eclipse plugins. In Eclipse there is a Pentaho button where I can either select "New Action Sequence Wizard" or "New JFree Report Wizard".

Upon selecting the New JFree report Wizard, a form comes up asking for "Container" and "File name" I enter the data and click "Finish."

After clicking "Finish", whatever I entered for "File name" now appears as an "xreportspec" file in the Eclipse's "Package Explorer".

If I click on the xreportspec file, it brings up a page titled "Start Here".

When I click "Next", it brings up a page titled "Data Source and Query". On this page there is a section (on the left side) which is labeled "Connection Information".

In the Connection Information section there is a "Connection Type" combobox and buttons for "Add", "Edit", "Remove".

The combobox defaults to "JNDI" and "SampleData". I don't want to use the sample data so I clicked the Add button.

When clicking the Add button, it brings up an "Add JNDI Connection" form with these fields: "JNDI Name", "Driver", "Connect String", "Username", and "Password". Unfortunately, the Driver combox doesn't have any items... even though I have the jdbc jar in the classpath and the Oracle home in the path. This form looks exactly like the form found in the Report Designer (but you mentioned I cannot use Report Designer for actions -- which is why I downloaded the Eclipse plugins). In Report Designer though, the Driver combox does have items populating its list.

> You do not set up any JNDI connections in the Design Studio

On the Add JNDI Connection form, which I've accessed from Eclipse, I've filled it out just like I mentioned below and I get the error mentioned below. I'm really perplexed here, the form clearly states "Add JNDI Connection" but you mention I don't setup JNDI connections in Design Studio.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Hello,

Do you have any updates? I cannot connect to the data source from Eclipse -- I can from the standalone report designer, but not Eclipse. I've got the jdbc jar in the classpath but all I ever get is this error message, "An error occurred. The message was".

Suggestion on how to get this working are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,

just use the report designer and it's wizard function to create the reports. The Report Wizard in Eclipse is leftover from older times and not necessary anymore, since the Report Designer has the wizard included now.

Therefore you do not need to set up the DB access in Eclipse!!! The Eclipse Plugin is only needed to design or edit action sequences, for which you do not set up DB connections in Eclipse but in the BI Server.

HTH.

Regards,
    Ingo

Thanks for the reply...

Are you telling me to use two different applications to essentially work with the same report... Design Studio for the xaction file and the Report Designer for the xml file?

Thanks!