Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Arguments

Default Arguments

Hi,

Is it possible to get arguments values in a job ? I know in a transformaation there is the "Get system info" step.

In fact, I would like to get an argument which represents the directory where are save my transformations to execute. How can I do to do this ?

Thx

Jobs are more about job flow control and then data flow.

You can e.g. execute a transformation that picks a command line argument and sets it up as variable (after which you can use it in the job e.g.).

See also http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-1381 and add comments there.

Regards,
    Sven

Thx for your reply sboden.

I already execute a transformation (nammed t1) that picks a command line argument and create a variable. But the problem is that this argument represents the directory where the transformations are save (t1 are saved here too).

So I can use my variable to parametrize all my transformation (${myDirectory}\transformation.ktr) but I can't do this for t1. That's why I would like to know if is it possible to pick a command line argument in a job and don't use a transformation to do that !
    Last edited by DamP; 06-25-2008 at 08:47 AM.

Not before something like PDI-1381 is implemented, no.

If you want do something like you want to do you have to "bootstrap" your environment. One possible way around now would be to use different configuration for kettle.properties (containing your directory variable) and then pointing to different ones if you want to vary directories: using multiple, different kettle.properties files.

Regards,
    Sven

Ok thx a lot sboden !

I added a comment in jira for PDI-1381. This could be a good improvement !