Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error saving to repository

Default Error saving to repository

Hello,

I just started trying out this tool. I created the repository and tried to save a transformation, but I get the following error message:

Error saving transformation to repository!
    Error updating batch
    Character to numeric conversion error

What did I do wrong? Can someone help me?

Thanks

If you consistently get it... attach your transformation, preferably via a JIRA.

The individual steps are responsible for the saving in the repository, so either there's a bug in one of them, or you put in settings in your step which were not expected by the step.

Regards,
    Sven

This error doesn`t seem to be specific for one transformation. I tried saving other transformations (even an empty one) and it always reports the same error.

So maybe you're using the same step a lot.

Action plan.

- Export your repository via spoon
    - Make a new repository (different schema e.g.) and import the repository again

a) Do you have the same problem now or not.

- If you still have the problem, pick one transformation that fails and try to pin point which step it is. By removing steps and saving. until you don't get the problem anymore. In this case tell us which step it is.

- Try the 3.1-M2 build on your new repository to see whether you still have the problem then.

Regards,
    Sven

I`m not able to save any transformation at all.
    I deleted/created a new repository, exported/imported the repository and tried removing steps, but the error occurs even if there is no step left.
    Could you explain, what you mean with "Try the 3.1-M2 build on your new repository".
    And thank you for your help.

Hi Hannah, it's usually common practice to report Kettle versions and a clear description of your problem when you report an issue. (over here or in JIRA)

Sven is merely suggesting to try a more recent version as he suspects you are using an older version of Kettle.

HTH,

Matt

I`m sorry if I wasn`t clear.
    I was using Kettle 3.0.3, but have tried it with Kettle 3.1.0 now. The problem is still there.
    I really can`t tell you much more, as I haven`t done much with spoon yet. I created a repository, started a transformation (Database table to text file) and tried to save it, which didn`t work.

The error details are:

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: Error saving transformation: org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleException:
    Error updating batch

at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.dialog.SaveProgressDialog$1.run(SaveProgressDialog.java:72)
    at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:113)
    Caused by: org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleException:
    Error updating batch

at org.pentaho.di.trans.TransMeta.saveRep(TransMeta.java:1979)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.dialog.SaveProgressDialog$1.run(SaveProgressDialog.java:68)
    ... 1 more
    Caused by: org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleDatabaseBatchException:
    Error updating batch
    at org.pentaho.di.core.database.Database.emptyAndCommit(Database.java:1388)
    at org.pentaho.di.repository.Repository.closeStepAttributeInsertPreparedStatement(Repository.java:3243)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.TransMeta.saveRep(TransMeta.java:1886)
    ... 2 more
    Caused by: java.sql.BatchUpdateException: Character to numeric conversion error
    at com.informix.jdbc.IfxPreparedStatement.executeBatch(IfxPreparedStatement.java:3410)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.database.Database.emptyAndCommit(Database.java:1372)
    ... 4 more

I´m not sure how JIRA works. I will have to look into it first. Again I`m sorry if I´m not clear enough. Please have a little (or a lot of ) patience.

Well, update to 3.0.4 and make sure to "upgrade" your repository (or create a new one).
    There have been a few issues similar to the one you report.
    Without an idea of the transformation you're saving, it's hard of-course to find what's being saved.
    HTH,
    Matt

Default Unable to save step information!!!!

Hi,

I am fairly new to this. I have a Kettle plugin that I have created and I have a transformation which uses this plugin to do some stuff. I am trying to save the plugin in repository and I have all the necessary methods defined in the meta class. I am able to save the transformation but it omits out all the meta information. So when I try to open the same transformation again from repository, I don't see any of the meta information. Can you tell me how I can save a transformation into the repository??
    At what point do we call saveRep method and from where??

Thanks
    PS: the plugin has some text filed and a table to enter multiple rows

If you properly define readRep/saveRep, and put the metadata information back in the dialog upon opening it should work.

Look at the code some other steps.

My hunch you don't save the data from your dialog to the meta information. That's not automatic and you have to code it in the gui class of your step.

Regards,
    Sven