Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: trouble running job from file with kitchen

Default trouble running job from file with kitchen

i'd like to run my production jobs/transformations from files instead of the repository (so that I can version them through SVN, formalize a deployment process, etc.).

so i build a simple transformation (generate 10 rows and output to XML in /tmp) and a simple job (run transformation then email me) to control it. in production both of these elements will be nested under a master job which is linked to a cron entry (i.e. hourly, daily, weekly, etc.). both the job and the transformation work fine under spoon and carte (which is running on the same box, with the same environment, as kitchen). i'm running 3.0.3 build 569.

so i export the job and transformation to XML and copy them to my server and put them in a new subdirectory under my user directory. I run kitchen as the documentation indicates:

Code:
    /usr/local/pentaho/kettle/kitchen.sh -file=/home/admin/tomtest/tomtest.ktr -level=Basic
    and i get:

Code:
    INFO  12-08 10:49:22,737 (LogWriter.java:println:406)  -Kitchen - Logging is at level : Basic logging
    INFO  12-08 10:49:22,737 (LogWriter.java:println:406)  -Kitchen - Start of run.
    2008/08/12 10:49:25:467 PDT [INFO] DefaultFileReplicator - Using "/var/tmp/vfs_cache" as temporary files store.
    INFO  12-08 10:49:25,818 (LogWriter.java:println:406)  -RepositoriesMeta - Reading repositories XML file: /home/admin/.kettle/repositories.xml
    INFO  12-08 10:49:27,113 (LogWriter.java:println:406)  -tomtestjob - Starting entry [tomtest]
    INFO  12-08 10:49:27,116 (LogWriter.java:println:406)  -tomtest - Opening filename : [null]
    INFO  12-08 10:49:27,117 (LogWriter.java:println:406)  -tomtest - Opening transformation: [tomtest] in directory [/]
    INFO  12-08 10:49:27,118 (LogWriter.java:println:406)  -tomtest - Loading transformation from repository [tomtest] in directory [/]
    ERROR 12-08 10:49:27,131 (LogWriter.java:println:403)  -Thread[tomtestjob (tomtestjob (Thread-2)),5,main] - org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleException: 
    Unexpected error during transformation metadata load

No repository defined!

at org.pentaho.di.job.entries.trans.JobEntryTrans.getTransMeta(JobEntryTrans.java:781)
            at org.pentaho.di.job.entries.trans.JobEntryTrans.execute(JobEntryTrans.java:432)
            at org.pentaho.di.job.Job.execute(Job.java:332)
            at org.pentaho.di.job.Job.execute(Job.java:433)
            at org.pentaho.di.job.Job.execute(Job.java:258)
            at org.pentaho.di.kitchen.Kitchen.main(Kitchen.java:331)
    Caused by: org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleException: 
    No repository defined!

at org.pentaho.di.job.entries.trans.JobEntryTrans.getTransMeta(JobEntryTrans.java:766)
            ... 5 more

Exception in thread "main" org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleException: 
    !Job.Log.UnexpectedError!

No repository defined!

at org.pentaho.di.job.Job.execute(Job.java:438)
            at org.pentaho.di.job.Job.execute(Job.java:258)
            at org.pentaho.di.kitchen.Kitchen.main(Kitchen.java:331)

No repository defined!

at org.pentaho.di.job.entries.trans.JobEntryTrans.getTransMeta(JobEntryTrans.java:781)
            at org.pentaho.di.job.entries.trans.JobEntryTrans.execute(JobEntryTrans.java:432)
            at org.pentaho.di.job.Job.execute(Job.java:332)
            at org.pentaho.di.job.Job.execute(Job.java:433)
            ... 2 more
    No repository defined!

at org.pentaho.di.job.entries.trans.JobEntryTrans.getTransMeta(JobEntryTrans.java:766)
            ... 5 more
    i tried removing the ENV variables that point to the repository,login and password... but no joy.

any advice?

Use pan to run transformations.

Regards,
    Sven

Default my bad

the command line that i posted didn't match the output. i'm sorry for that. the correct command line is:
    Code:
    /usr/local/pentaho/kettle/kitchen.sh -file="/home/admin/tomtest/tomtestjob.kjb" -level="Basic"
    so i am trying to launch a job with kitchen.

good catch, i wish it was that simple.

Next try... inside of your jobs you still refer to jobs in a repository. If you export from repository to xml files you need to edit all of your job job entries to use files only.

Regards,
    Sven

Default that was the trick

thanks again for quick, accurate advice sven.