Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Help Newbie: How to import a zipped xml file via HTTP into MySQL

Default Help Newbie: How to import a zipped xml file via HTTP into MySQL

Hi Guys, I am looking to replace a current java solution with an ETL solution since I keep getting memory issues processing large XML files and the bulk import solution seems much quicker (and easier?).

My thinking was to generate a simple ETL demo to test this using the following steps:
    1) HTTP - to do the XML zip file download
    2) UNZIP - to unzip the zip file and use wildcard to pick up the single XML file
    3) BULKLOAD INTO MYSQL - to import **that single XMLfile ** into MySQL
    (Then maybe use java to process the imported table).

Initial problem is that I don't know the name of that single XML file to use in Step 3.
    Step 2 unzips using a wildcard expression to extract the file.

How can I either:
    a) rename that extracted file (wildcard) to a fixed name say x.xml ?
    b) retrieve the wildcard name from the directory for reuse ?

Kind regards,

Mark Dathorne

Hi mark.dathorne,

You can/should use variables and parameters to get the name of the file to process into kettle.
    In most text fields you can input a variable (Ctrl+Space) which you see via icon 'red dollar on grey rhomb'.
    SQL parts can also evaluate variables when you check the option.

Christoph

EDIT: I should expose there are differences between variables and parameters! Variables can be given via -Dvarname=value (Java) or kettle.properties. The latter is not relevant for you purpose. Parameters are the things after kitchen.sh.
    Last edited by christophWeißenborn; 08-13-2008 at 05:27 AM.

DEinspanjer Guest

Mark,

If you are extracting the zip into a clean directory, you can use the Get File Names transformation step to find the XML file even if you don't know the name of it using a wildcard. Then you can pass the filename field into a Set Variables step and then use that variable in the bulkload into mysql job entry.