Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Date Calculations

Default Date Calculations

I would like to do some date calculations in my transformation. Once I have imported my dataset I want to add a column that stores if a user is active (Y) or not (N). The data type of this column should be Boolean.

If I do this on import by using SQL the data type might not be really the one that I want (it is quite likely that Kettle identifies it as a string).

How would I do this:
    IF(datedel > DATE_SUB(CURDATE(), INTERVAL 1 DAY), Y, N) active

as a seperate step in my transfromation?

Thanks a lot for you help in advance,
    Diddy

That's going to be a javascript snippet you need currently

Regards,
    Sven

Hi,
    Thanks a lot for your reply. I tried a while now to get this working, but there seems to be a problem with reading in the date (datedel.getDate()).
    My if statement doesn't work at all, I even tried to substract the deletion date from yesterday's date and get 0 or 1970 ... for all my records. I checked both variables and both are in the date format. Do you have any idea what I am doing wrong here?

Here my code:

var myDate=new Date();
    myDate.setDate(myDate.getDate()-1);

// create start of yesterday
    var yesterday = new Date(myDate.getFullYear(),myDate.getMonth(), myDate.getDate(),00,00,00);

//var check = isDate(datedel.getDate());

var check = isDate(datedel.getDate());

var sub = datedel - yesterday;

if(datedel.getDate() > yesterday){
    var active = 1;
    }
    else
    {
    var active = 0;
    }

BTW, where can I find a documentation of the built-in Java Functions?

Thanks a lot,
    Diddy

What do you think:

Code:
    myDate.setDate(myDate.getDate()-1);
    does?

The function you can use in javascript are in the pdf manual in the docs directory.

Regards,
    Sven

Default Cannot find documentation

Hi Sven,
    Thanks a lot for your help. I had a look in pdi-open-3.1.0-RC1\docs\English but I cannot find any documentation for this. There is nothing detailled in Spoon_3_0_0_User_Guide.pdf nor in any other document. Can you please point me to the right direction?

Also, can I just write my own javascript in the 'modified java script value' or do I have to stick to the predifined functions?

Thanks,
    Diddy

Look for the phrase "JavaScript Values" in that pdf file... it will point you to the old javascript step which contains the functions you can use when compatibility is on.

You can also have a look at the left hand side of the modified javascript in which each "integrated" function is in there per category and you can get example uses if you right click on them.

You can write own javascript step but remember it's an embedded javascript, not all things work as you would expect them to work

Regards,
    Sven

Default Thanks!

Hi Sven,
    Thanks a lot. I thought there would be a bit more information than this. I haven't really found a predefined function, but I'll play around a bit more and maybe I get it working.
    Thanks a lot again,
    Diddy

It's the same with Pentaho as with most other software projects... not a lof of developers like writing documentation... so it kind of gets "postponed"/minimalized

Regards,
    Sven