Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Kettle - Resing Windows 2003 or OS Event viewer events

Smile Kettle - Resing Windows 2003 or OS Event viewer events

Hi guys,

Any one knows how to get kettle to check for system or application specific events?

Is this a wishfull thinking request, or does actually it can monitor such events?

Regards,

Ben

For the moment it's a wishful thinking request.

To get at the event viewer log file you would need some JNI stuff (e.g. http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/j...tmessages.html).

If you really want to you can make your own plugin for PDI, but I doubt there would be a lot of general interest in reading eventviewer logs. You can also make a JIRA for it at http://jira.pentaho.org/browse/PDI, but a short term solution is probably wishful thinking.

Regards,
    Sven

Smile Kettle and Windows EventLog Viewer

Thanks for your reply,

The main reason is to monitor multiple servers using kettle, the eventviewer is only one thing to monitor, maybe it can alert you when a CPU is over 90% or a service has stopped running.

Is just using Kettle infraestructure to perform administrative task rather than ETL tasks. Or for example, you can create a job that will execute only If it has memory or CPU available on the server.

Regards,

Ben

Don't use Kettle for what it was not intended for ... It's apparently something with ETL tools that people try to abuse as a "gold hammer" for all kind of other stuff.

Possible with a non-core plugin you could read the windows event log (non-core since it wouldn't build on Unix e.g.), but further than that it's not going to go probably

Regards,
    Sven

Hey guys,

benja came up with reading, but what about writing Windows event log?
    Building a data warehouse has such a performance impact that it would be nice if event log will contain messages about starting and stopping (and failing) of this task.
    Maybe this could/should be done with an plugin, but should not this be included in logging panel also? Of course the Windows event log applies only for MS OS. But on *nix OS there exists a similar event logging.
    I am sure this should only be an optional thing.

That do you think?

Greets,
    Christoph
    21 is only half the truth

Not short term I think... unless the current logging libraries do a "to windows log", but I doubt that. As in my original reply for windows some bits of JNI would be required.

Maybe the easiest would be to make some new type of logger which uses windows log, which would make it something external to PDI. Find us such a commons logging/log4j plugin and it can be integrated probably

Regards,
    Sven
    Last edited by sboden; 10-08-2008 at 05:40 AM.

Log4J can log to the Windows NT logsystem, so in theory nothing speaks against having Kettle report to Windows. Its all a matter of configuring Log4J correctly.

From the Log4J FAQ:
    log4j can direct its output to a file, the console, an java.io.OutputStream, java.io.Writer, a remote server using TCP, a remote Unix Syslog daemon, to a remote listener using JMS, to the NT EventLog or even send e-mail.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Hi,

yesterday I have heard this feature is still available in the enterprise edition.
    I think about worth of redevelop a plugin for the community...

Christoph
    21 is only half the truth