Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Force Enclosure function changed in 3.1-RC1?

Default Force Enclosure function changed in 3.1-RC1?

I have a text file output step where I need to put quotes around all fields - even the blank ones. In versions prior to 3.1 (3.0.2, specifically), when I checked the box "Force the enclosure around fields?", the enclosure (in my case, a quotation mark) was placed around all fields, including fields that were empty.

When running the same transform in 3.1-RC1, the enclosure is no longer present around the empty fields.

Did the function of this checkbox change on purpose, or by accident? If it's changed on purpose, is there a workaround?

Thanks.

-Kevin

DEinspanjer Guest

I don't think that would have been a purposeful change. I'd suggest filling a JIRA issue right away so someone can take a look.

thats weird. I raised an issue about force enclosure not working on blank or null values and was basically told tuff. yet it was necessary at the time for me to match a file format.

so; it sounds like i should check out 3.0.2

The behavior changed on purpose because of a bug report stating that it was illegal (for some standards reason I guess) to quote empty fields.
    I guess there are programs out there that can't handle the generic case and need to be hand-held in the file format.