Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Metadata from Calculator

Default Metadata from Calculator

I've been using the calculator transform to translate NULLs to default values. One of the input values is CHAR(255). I submit this along with a constant to the NVL function and specify String(100) as the output.

Showing the output fields, is appears correctly.

However, I get the following error:

2008/08/25 13:37:06 - DEMO Staging.0 - ERROR (version 3.1.0-RC1, build 771 from 2008/07/08 11:57:00) : Error inserting row into table ["PERSON_DEMO_STG"] with values: [ 1], [ ], [ ], [ ], [ ], [0001/01/01 00:00:00.000], [ ], [ ], [ ], [M], [ ], [ ], [ ], [ ], [ ], [ ], [twurzbac@gmail.com ], [ ], [ ], [ ], [ ], [ ]

2008/08/25 13:37:06 - DEMO Staging.0 - ERROR (version 3.1.0-RC1, build 771 from 2008/07/08 11:57:00) : Error setting value #17 [PRI_EMAIL_ADR String(100)] on prepared statement (String)

Is appears that the type conversion (to String(100)) isn't happening, even though the metadata listing says it is.

Ideas?

Default String conversions/truncations

After more thrashing about I've determined that the table output step isn't honoring the string lengths set in any step (Select, Calculator, etc). It's reverting back to the original length and erroring with a data truncation error.

If I use a text file output, it works fine (although that conversion/truncation may be happening directly in the text output step).

Is it not possible to extend/truncate string length with the Select transform? Or is this a bug?

Are you using the "meta-data" tab of the Select/Transform step?

Be sure not to alter the same field in more than one tab, because they are supposed to be mutually exclusive.

See http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=62687

Default Tried both ways

Hi!

I've tried using the "Select&Alter" tab (alone), using the metadata tab (with other fields in "Remove" as well as alone) and always the same result.

If I use a Javascript transform following the Select and create a new field defined as EMAIL_LEN = CEMAIL_NVL.length; I get the original length of 255, not the specified length of 100.

Chris

Altering metadata does not mean altering content.
    If you want to truncate your varchars do it via SQL in your input step or include a Javascript ... len(value) < 100 ? value : substring(...) (or so)

Christoph

Oh, right, I didn't get the string truncation part...

Christoph's suggestion is correct then. There is also an experimental "TrimCut" plugin that you could check out:

http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/EAI/...ation+Plug-Ins

Cheers!