Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: excel input does not work

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default excel input does not work

    I have an excel Input in Kettle and get 6 Rows, but in fact there are 172 Entries in the excel file. I tried to save the excel file as csv file. The csv file input works with delimiter “,” but I get just one field with all information and I could see the semicolon as delimeter. When I use the delimiter “;” it does not work.

    I have just started to work with kettle. Could you please help me?

    Regards
    Reinhold

  2. #2

    Default

    - Look for whitespaces in your delimiter field.
    - Check whether you use correct encoding.
    Are there " or ' in input?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,882

    Default

    If the Excel is readable by PDI use excel input step.

    If you're using CSV files (which preferably should always be extracted by VBA macro) you can use CSV input step our text file input step. But be sure to step the delimiters/enclosure the right way. Both these steps have some small problems with escaped data.

    Regards,
    Sven

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,013

    Default

    Could you send a sample XLS file, so we could test it? Also, what version of Kettle are you using?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I use version 3.0.3.

    Regards
    Reinhold
    Attached Files Attached Files

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default Settings for Excel Input

    see attached the settings

    Regards
    Reinhold
    Attached Files Attached Files

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,013

    Default

    Hm, seems like leaving the "File name" field in the "Content" tab empty did the trick for me. I was getting the same 6 rows until I removed the "FileName" value from there.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default

    You are right, when I remove the "FileName" it works.Thank you very much for help. The Problem is solved.

    Have a nice day
    Reinhold

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    112

    Default Sheetname field causing the same problem

    Thank you so much for this post! I have been having the same problem with the sheetname variable and didn't realize it. When I put a value in the sheetname field, it only returns the first few rows of the spreadsheet. However, if I copy my worksheet and paste the values into a new spreadsheet, the whole thing comes through fine. I have been doing that step every month because I couldn't figure out what was causing the problem. When I took off the sheetname variable, all the rows came through on the original spreadsheet.

    The problem is, I need the sheethame variable. My users track their schedules in an Excel workbook. Each month is on a separate work sheet. Rather than having to go in and manually change the sheetname on my Excel input step, I would like to be able to get all the sheets and then filter on the Sheetname variable to get the month that I want. The other alternative would be to be able to enter a variable as the name of the sheet to extract, but that isn't an option in my version of Spoon (3.0.2).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Privacy Policy | Legal Notices | Safe Harbor Privacy Policy

Copyright © 2005 - 2019 Hitachi Vantara Corporation. All Rights Reserved.