Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Passing variables through jobs

Default Passing variables through jobs

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble passing variable between jobs, and was hoping for some clarification.

I have ( for the scope of this problem) A job (MASTERJOB) and two transformations (TRANSA, TRANSB) that run from that job.

MASTERJOB is set to execute for each row. At the end of TRANSA, I set a variable (%%PresentationDBNAME%%) with the scope of Parent Job.

TRANSB then runs, and has an oracle DB connection determined by this variable.

I've refer to the variable using $(PresentationDBNAME) and %%PresentationDBNAME%% and neither have worked.

I've tried using a get Variable step, with the variable name as both listed above, and outputting to a text document. All that is output is the literral string I entered - "%%PresentationDBNAME%%".

Is there something I'm missing? I thought a variable declared in the scope of a job was available for its children (TRANSB in this case).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

Your general idea is right (when using >= v3.x) ... however not all parts of PDI are variable sensitive. Did you use it in a field ended by a gray diamond with $ on it?

For get variable step don't use %% or %{}... just the name

Regards,
    Sven

For the Get variable step, I took out the surrounding %%, and now the text file just writes "PresentationsDBNAME" to the file.

In the database connection, I'm using $(PresentationsDBNAME) in the host and database name fields, which allow variables.

When the transformation runs, the DB connections through IO NL errors.

3.0.4 PDI

${} not $() ... ACCOLADES

S.
    Last edited by sboden; 08-27-2008 at 11:26 AM.

Haha, cheers mate. I feel like an idiot now.

Thanks for your quick replies. I'm no longer at work, but when I return I'll check that that's it (I'm pretty sure it is).

Wouldn't it be ${} ?

Quote Originally Posted by sboden View Post
    %{} not %() ... ACCOLADES

S.

Of course

Thanks for the help, everything is working perfectly now.
    Last edited by JBarclay; 08-27-2008 at 07:48 PM.