Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Coment the steps?

Default Coment the steps?

i have a little question, there is a form to coment the steps? i will explain, in many languages there are the posibility to coment things, sometimes there are comentaries and other times you use that to prove if a part of your code work properly. there is a option to do the same? maybe i have done a big transformation with a lot of steps and i want to coment some of that steps and put a exit of rows to see better how the rows arrive to the steps where it break.

Right click on the canvas, new note... knock yourself out with comments

There's also a field in the job/transformation properties where you can write some comments.

Regards,
    Sven

i think that i dont explain properly.. that i want is to "coment" a step.... when a transformation is going to execute i want to execute all but no that step, and i dont want to delete that step, there is a option for a step ,that is into a transformation, isn't execute when that transformation is execute? i don't want to delete that transformation

sorry for your time waste

regards Saúl

ahhh coment... comment... while you actually mean disable.

no... disabling a step wouldn't make sense... if you disable one step it would probably change the meta data and the transformation would be broken... like trying to remove 1 piece out of pipe.

You can disable hops, but if such a hop appears in the middle of a transformation you will probably not get the result you want.

Regards,
    Sven

i think that maybe it will be interesting to have de posibility to disable some steps because sometimes you have a error and you will know where, and maybe it will be helpfull for you to see how does the data arrive to here (with which metadata and thing) and if you dont want the steps that give to you error was executed you have to delete its, if you have the posibility of disable its you dont have to enter its again the next time.

I don't think it makes that much sense. It would not be that hard to build in, but it would have some unwanted side-effects (like can you use disabled steps to get metadata from, what to do with steps after the disabled step, ...).

To get the data right before a step there are other ways in 3.1 to get that... just preview the step.

Regards,
    Sven

maybe it has some side-effects, but i think that it will have some aplications for people, i have had many times that i have to delete a step and after have to put again because i want to prove another diferent way to do the same thing...

its only my personal opinion.

thanks for your help

regards Saúl

lol ... too many unwanted effects involved... belief me

I really do not understand the need for deleting a step or a transformation. You are ALWAYS able to delete the 2 related hops and create another hop:

A
    |
    v
    B --> C

changed to:
    A --> C

B

Christoph
    Last edited by christophWeißenborn; 08-28-2008 at 04:38 AM.

In your example you can even use the "Detach" feature which gives the result without doing anything else :-)