Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Big5 to Unicode Issue

Default Big5 to Unicode Issue

Dear all..

i got big problem about inputting data in Big5 db into Unicode db. my problem description is as follows:
    Source db: SQLServer(Big5)
    Target db: Oracle(Unicode)
    Source field: Field_S char(16)
    Target field: Field_T varchar2(6)

i was trying to transfer the data, 李先生, which are composed of three chinese characters on Source field into Target field.
    but i got error message which is "ORA-12899: value too large for column string".
    after debugging several times, i found the source data, 李先生, occupied 9 in width on Target field but not occupied 3 in width.
    i use "Field_S.getString().substr(0,2)" in Java Script Value, and it works! the conclusion is that one chinese character from big5 encoding will occupy three in width on unicode encoding field.

how can i solve this problem if i want the data, 李先生, transferred into the target completely?

anyone can help?? thx for replying me..

Regards,
    Jeff

Lemme guess... Oracle 9?

Hit the same problem a couple of times ... it's not a PDI problem... it's an Oracle "internationalization feature". It looks simple, but it's fairly complex so maybe have a talk with your DBA. Oracle has a book on it in their docs, it has to do with the NLS settings of your oracle client and server.

Regards,
    Sven
    Last edited by sboden; 08-29-2008 at 02:05 AM.

no bingo~ hahh~ my oracle's version is 10.0.2
    okay~ at least i know the problem is not in Kettle. i will have a talk with DBA later. thx u so much, Sven

Regards,
    Jeff