Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: PREPARE syntax doesnt work in platform 2.0

Default PREPARE syntax doesnt work in platform 2.0

Hi,

I presume reports should be backwards compatible in platform 2.0?

Anyway it seems the PREPARE syntax is broken, this report which works in 1.7.0 fails in 2.0:

16:43:23,786 ERROR [SQLLookupRule] Error Start: Pentaho Pentaho Platform Engine Core 2.0.0-M1
    16:43:23,864 ERROR [SQLLookupRule] ded7b9ab-7905-11dd-9aa9-99cb11105ad8:COMPONENT:context-11511896-1220370201146:COM-Rep-001GetData.xactionSQLBaseComp
    onent.ERROR_0006 - Could not execute COM-Rep-001GetData.xaction
    java.sql.SQLException: Non supported SQL92 token at position: 247: PREPARE
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:124)
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:161)

Hi, Dan.

Could we trouble you to attach the report and xaction that you're trying to execute so we can trace the problem?

Cheers,

John

files attached to case: 00003889

it could be because it's a sub action sequence?
    Last edited by codek; 09-03-2008 at 11:10 AM.

Dan,

Thanks for attaching the files, I will assign to an engineer and get back to you shortly. Subaction problem is definitely a possibility.

John

many thanks! i'll continue playing with 2.0

As well as a bi engineer, i'm also a tester by trade, so if i raise too much tell me to stop

I tried to reproduce your problem, using a simplified version of your xactions, plus the latest code in the 2.0 line. I was unsuccessful in reproducing it. Can you supply the log? I'm hoping the SQL it's trying to execute will be present in the log.

log attached... if you want me to re-run with different log4j settings then just say!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Action sequences aren't a strength of mine so my help (until backup arrives) is limited to some observations. The first query below is the text found in the xaction. The second query below is the log output of the same query. Notice that the template token has been replaced with "in ( {PREPARE:messageID} )"

Original query in xaction (used as a subaction):

Code:
    select count(distinct d.dispensary_id) as NUM_DISP_FILTERED
              from agg_special_message_sent asss,
                   scanner                  s,
                   scan_station             ss,
                   dispensary               d
            where asss.special_message_id = {messageID}
               and asss.scanner_id = s.scanner_id
               and ss.scan_station_id = s.scan_station_id
               and d.dispensary_id = ss.dispensary_id
               and asss.num_filtered > 0

Query from pentaho.log:

Code:
    select count(distinct d.dispensary_id) as NUM_DISP_FILTERED
              from agg_special_message_sent asss,
                   scanner                  s,
                   scan_station             ss,
                   dispensary               d
            where asss.special_message_id in ( {PREPARE:messageID} )
               and asss.scanner_id = s.scanner_id
               and ss.scan_station_id = s.scan_station_id
               and d.dispensary_id = ss.dispensary_id
               and asss.num_filtered > 0
    Are you saying that this exact set of action sequences (xactions) works in 1.7.x?

err, ok they do look different, I may have got mixed up between which version of the report i sent to you, however all of our reports use a similar construct - the data is looked up in a sub action sequence, and they all fail.

nevertheless all of our reports work in 1.7.0.

have you tried a simple case of using a subaction to get the data? if not shall I try one against sampleData?

Using your example as a base, I've created a simple xaction exercising prepared SQL in a subaction. Please run this on your server to verify that it works. (It works perfectly on my setup.) This xaction uses SampleData that comes with the BI Server.

I get an error running that example in my 2.0 env:

I tried enabling debug on the xaction but didnt get any more info. There's no exception in the log with my current log level.

The xactions seem to open ok in the design studio.

Error: RuntimeContext.ERROR_0012 - ActionDefinition for SubActionComponent did not execute successfully (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext)Debug: Starting execute of aegate/operations/commercial/COM-Rep-001.xaction (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Debug: Getting runtime context and data (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Debug: Loading action sequence definition file (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine)
    Debug: audit: instanceId=d724b363-7f0a-11dd-a199-1535f8276972, objectId=org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext, messageType=action_sequence_start (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Debug: validateComponent validating component SubActionComponent (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Debug: Validating component for action COM-Rep-001.xaction (org.pentaho.platform.plugin.action.builtin.SubActionComponent)
    Debug: Executing action sequence (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Debug: Executing action definition: Iteration 0 (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Debug: Executing action definition: Iteration 0 (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Debug: audit: instanceId=d724b363-7f0a-11dd-a199-1535f8276972, objectId=SubActionComponent, messageType=component_execution_started (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Debug: execute pre-audit (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Debug: Setting component log level to DEBUG (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Debug: Initializing component (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Debug: executeComponent starting audited execute (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Debug: execute validation=true (org.pentaho.platform.plugin.action.builtin.SubActionComponent)
    Debug: executeComponent finished audited execute (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Error: RuntimeContext.ERROR_0012 - ActionDefinition for SubActionComponent did not execute successfully (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Debug: audit: instanceId=d724b363-7f0a-11dd-a199-1535f8276972, objectId=org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext, messageType=action_sequence_failed (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Error: SolutionEngine.ERROR_0007 - Action sequence execution failed (org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine)

You probably made some tweaks to these xactions to make them work in your environment. Can you attach them back to this thread, along with your log file?

i didnt touch them, other than enable debug logging. I'm just running the standard demo, so the sampledata should work as expected.

attached!

Did you change the path in the SubActionComponent? Mine points to the etl folder since I dropped both COM-Rep xactions in that folder. Maybe the problem is that it can't find the GetData xaction.
    Code:
    <action-definition> 
      <component-name>SubActionComponent</component-name>
      <action-type>getData</action-type>
      <action-inputs> 
        <messageID type="long"/> 
      </action-inputs>
      <action-outputs/>
      <component-definition> 
        <solution><![CDATA[samples]]></solution>  
        <path><![CDATA[etl]]></path>  
        <action><![CDATA[COM-Rep-001GetData.xaction]]></action> 
      </component-definition> 
    </action-definition>

It would help me get to the bottom of this very quickly if you could reproduce the problem using only SampleData. I could then debug the issue on my end with data that I actually have. Is that a possibility?

ok, your example works fine.

So i then took each query from mine and added them in one by one, they all seem to work.

And i'm now afraid to say that the original files I sent over work too, so i'm completely confused now. I can't identify what was different from when I had the original problem. Most of the other reports work too now so it looks like a wild goose chase - sorry! All i can think of is that i had some a version initially loaded into the repository which didnt match the version on the file system.

Dan

Glad to hear it's working now. And no problem about the wild goose chase--I learned some new stuff!

Bomb Cambridgeshire thats what I say!!
    This is a signature.... everyone gets it.

Join the Unofficial Pentaho IRC channel on freenode.
    Server: chat.freenode.net Channel: ##pentaho

Please try and make an effort and search the wiki and forums before posting!
    Checkout the Saiku, the future of Open Source Interactive OLAP(http://analytical-labs.com)

http://mattlittle.files.wordpress.co...-bananaman.jpg

northern monkey!

;p)

Thats what you say, but worryingly both me and haza were born in cambridge

Checkout the Saiku, the future of Open Source Interactive OLAP(http://analytical-labs.com)

ah how weird, small world then.

in that case that means im more northern than you in terms of birth!

ya northern monkey!

either that or all the great BI brains have a connection with Cambridge