Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Custom Delimiter from Property file

Unhappy Custom Delimiter from Property file

Hello All,

My task is to dump data from oracle database tables to files. I'm using file output control for this.

I am using Kettle 3.0.2.

I know how to specify custom delimiter. But the thing is i need to pass that delimiter from the properties file. I tried giving the variable name in the file output control but didnt succeed. The variable's name was there in the output file instead of the delimeter which is variable's value.

Eg: 4394037${delim}Deepak${delim}4394037
    I want like this:

4394037|;|Deepak|;|4394037
    |;| -> needs to be specified in some external source.

so kindly help me. Is there any method to specify the delimiter from property file or from any other source.

Thanks in advance.
    Deepak
    Last edited by deepusrp; 09-08-2008 at 06:42 AM.

hi man,
    in the text file output step, click the content tab, write a Separator like this ${name_of_variable}.
    How do you pass this variable?

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by diegomrsantos View Post
    hi man,
    in the text file output step, click the content tab, write a Separator like this ${name_of_variable}.
    How do you pass this variable?

Regards

I have done it in the same method itself... I am passing that variable from kettle.properties file.

I got like this

Eg: 4394037${delim}Deepak${delim}4394037
    Last edited by deepusrp; 09-10-2008 at 12:34 AM.

Can anybody tell me how to do that....????

If I remember correctly... no such luck in 3.0.2. Variable sensitivity on that field is either in the latest 3.0.x or 3.1

If you see a "diamond" behind the field you can use variables (else you can't). If you use a version that has support for it, use control space in that field to get a list of static variable names... if your name is not in there you put it in the wrong file.

Regards,
    Sven

Thanks for your reply boden,

If you see a "diamond" behind the field you can use variables (else you can't). If you use a version that has support for it, use control space in that field to get a list of static variable names... if your name is not in there you put it in the wrong file.
    I was knowing this, but just wanted to confirm from a reliable source.

Thanks once again...