Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Can we upgrade the Rhino Javascript engine to 1.7R1?

  1. #1
    DEinspanjer Guest

    Default Can we upgrade the Rhino Javascript engine to 1.7R1?

    I've been playing around with E4X and have been using 1.7R1 in trunk
    just fine for testing and such.
    The only change needed is a tweak to the creation of Contexts to
    eliminate a deprecated call.
    Instead of
    Context.enter();
    it needs to be
    ContextFactory.getGlobal().enterContext();

    Would it be alright for me to make this change and upgrade the jar?
    --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "kettle-developers" group.
    To post to this group, send email to kettle-developers (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to kettle-developers+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kettle-developers?hl=en
    -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

  2. #2
    Matt Casters Guest

    Default Re: Can we upgrade the Rhino Javascript engine to 1.7R1?

    Hi Daniel,

    I actually tested this and indeed it worked great. The XML features are especially tempting.
    The only thing that worried me and prevented me from doing the actual upgrade was backward compatibility.
    Is there any information available on that? Is there some gotcha or migration page available over at Rhino?

    Cheers,
    Matt
    ____________________________________________
    Matt Casters
    Chief Data Integration - Kettle founder
    Pentaho, Open Source Business Intelligence
    http://www.pentaho.org -- mcasters (AT) pentaho (DOT) org
    Tel. +32 (0) 486 97 29 37

    On Tuesday 09 September 2008 17:23:49 DEinspanjer wrote:
    >
    > I've been playing around with E4X and have been using 1.7R1 in trunk
    > just fine for testing and such.
    > The only change needed is a tweak to the creation of Contexts to
    > eliminate a deprecated call.
    > Instead of
    > Context.enter();
    > it needs to be
    > ContextFactory.getGlobal().enterContext();
    >
    > Would it be alright for me to make this change and upgrade the jar?
    > --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~




    --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "kettle-developers" group.
    To post to this group, send email to kettle-developers (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to kettle-developers+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kettle-developers?hl=en
    -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

  3. #3
    DEinspanjer Guest

    Default Re: Can we upgrade the Rhino Javascript engine to 1.7R1?

    Here is the page containing the release notes. The last several
    releases have all indicated that they should offer binary
    compatibility with any scripts written on previous releases as long as
    they used public APIs.
    I'd recommend reading the latest couple of release notes.. I had no
    idea some of the things that were possible in Rhino.

    -Daniel

    On Sep 9, 11:27

  4. #4
    DEinspanjer Guest

    Default Re: Can we upgrade the Rhino Javascript engine to 1.7R1?

    In addition, here are a few more very interesting links about the JS
    engine:
    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/Rhino_Optimization
    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/New_in_JavaScript_1.6
    http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/perf.html -- Some performance tips like
    trying to always use var because it aids the optimizer!


    On Sep 12, 9:42

  5. #5
    Matt Casters Guest

    Default Re: Can we upgrade the Rhino Javascript engine to 1.7R1?

    I suggest we still wait for 3.2 to slip this one in :-)
    Let's do this next week somewhere.

    Take care,
    Matt


    On Saturday 13 September 2008 03:49:03 DEinspanjer wrote:[color=blue]
    >
    > In addition, here are a few more very interesting links about the JS
    > engine:
    > http://developer.mozilla.org/en/Rhino_Optimization
    > http://developer.mozilla.org/en/New_in_JavaScript_1.6
    > http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/perf.html -- Some performance tips like
    > trying to always use var because it aids the optimizer!
    >
    >
    > On Sep 12, 9:42

  6. #6
    DEinspanjer Guest

    Default Re: Can we upgrade the Rhino Javascript engine to 1.7R1?

    Oops, After the thread died for several days and I was comfortable
    with all of my transformations running under it, I checked in last
    week sometime. I can revert it back out if you like.

    On Sep 23, 5:35

  7. #7
    Matt Casters Guest

    Default Re: Can we upgrade the Rhino Javascript engine to 1.7R1?

    OK, now I see you updated it. Please let's just leave it and document it.
    Isn't there supposed to be libs like e4x jar file as well?
    I tried an XML sample and although it compiled and tested, no XML values came back.

    Cheers,
    Matt


    On Thursday 25 September 2008 15:58:42 DEinspanjer wrote:[color=blue]
    >
    > Oops, After the thread died for several days and I was comfortable
    > with all of my transformations running under it, I checked in last
    > week sometime. I can revert it back out if you like.
    >
    > On Sep 23, 5:35

  8. #8
    DEinspanjer Guest

    Default Re: Can we upgrade the Rhino Javascript engine to 1.7R1?

    Nope, one of the nice things about Rhino 1.7 is that they changed the
    default underlying DOM parser to be the one built into JDK 1.5 so it
    works with just the one js.jar file.

    Check out this example I posted to the forums that demonstrates some
    E4X parsing: http://forums.pentaho.org/showpost.p...78&postcount=3
    Note that if your XML file had an XML declaration in it, it has to be
    stripped out due to a specification bug in E4X not supporting
    declarations. That is in the example as well.

    -Daniel

    On Sep 25, 11:07

  9. #9
    DEinspanjer Guest

    Default Re: Can we upgrade the Rhino Javascript engine to 1.7R1?

    On Sep 25, 7:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Privacy Policy | Legal Notices | Safe Harbor Privacy Policy

Copyright © 2005 - 2019 Hitachi Vantara Corporation. All Rights Reserved.