Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Practical examples

Question Practical examples

Hi,

please let me ask a very beginner level question: Do you have practicle examples of what I can analyze?
    I´m in a club and I want to test Pentaho with a few facts and numbers from this club.
    Let´s say male / female members increase over years in relationship to age and marketing campaigns and so on.
    Is it right / correct / possible to do theese things with Pentaho?

Thank you in advance.
    Bye, Chris

Your example almost sounds like what you'd expect to find in a sample solution I'd say it'd be very possible to analyze your data with Pentaho.

I'd recommend getting the preconfigured install of the platform and playing around with the examples to get a feel of what you can do. You can get it here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=160028

The file is "pentaho_demo_hsqldb-1.7.1.tar.gz" (or .zip if you're running Windows).

Cheers!

Red face

Ok, that looks very good indeed.

How do I have to begin? All data we have is on sheets of paper, Excel and on a few websites.
    Do I have to build a own database, for example a postgresql and insert my data into table within this database?
    So I think of creating tables like: members, campaigns, costs, perhaps bought products, events, contests, winner and so on.
    After having all data in my database, I have to download pentaho designer and extract oder datamine all data and create reports with reporting tool I´ve got in the demo setup?

Am I right or should I reconsider something?

Thank you in advance
    Bye, Chris

Quote Originally Posted by hammerwd View Post
    Ok, that looks very good indeed.

How do I have to begin? All data we have is on sheets of paper, Excel and on a few websites.
    Do I have to build a own database, for example a postgresql and insert my data into table within this database?
    So I think of creating tables like: members, campaigns, costs, perhaps bought products, events, contests, winner and so on.
    After having all data in my database, I have to download pentaho designer and extract oder datamine all data and create reports with reporting tool I´ve got in the demo setup?

Am I right or should I reconsider something?

Thank you in advance
    Bye, Chris
    Step 1, read about data warehouse design
    Step 2, implement data warehouse
    Step 3, read about creating Mondrian Cubes
    Step 4, implement cube
    Step 5, analyze data

If I were you I'd read some books and take an indepth look at how the pentaho sample data and reports are constructed, there will be a lot of work ahead.

Tom
    This is a signature.... everyone gets it.

Join the Unofficial Pentaho IRC channel on freenode.
    Server: chat.freenode.net Channel: ##pentaho

Please try and make an effort and search the wiki and forums before posting!
    Checkout the Saiku, the future of Open Source Interactive OLAP(http://analytical-labs.com)

http://mattlittle.files.wordpress.co...-bananaman.jpg

Ok, I followed first step.
    Second step would be to implement database.

So let me please explain how I would go on in this case:
    I found three ERD-models: snowflake, star, fullfact
    I think I will use the star schema here.
    I need tables like: members, campaigns, events, competitor, contests, location, prize
    Especially for contests I will need: competitor, contests, location, prize with contests in the middle of the star.
    So I can ask wich competitor won the most prices at location x etc.

Just to make sure I understood everything and can transfer it to my small world problems.