Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Using XML Input with newest file in directory

Question Using XML Input with newest file in directory

Hi, I've started using spoon/kettle 3.0.4 two days ago. I've used "XML Input" with "InsertUpdateRows" successfuly but now I want to import the newest xml file of a directory only. How can I do that?

My idea was to use "Get File names", sort the list of names with "Sort Rows" and limit (how?) to one row -- and give "XML Input" that name. But it looks like only "Text input" can handle a filename coming from input stream... What can I do?

Ans how could I use the newest file only if its name contains the current date (there's something like 20080826 in the filename)?

Please give me some hints - spoon is a great tool and I believe there is a way to do what I want... :-)

thanks,
    F.

Hi F.,

How you start your ETL process? Can you execute a shell script in front which can provide parameters to Spoon/Kitchen/Pan? Or do you use it within J2EE?

On a professional operation system I would do it with
    export MY_FILENAME=`ls -t | head -1`
    and give that into Kettle...

Christoph
    21 is only half the truth

Hello,

The plan is to use kitchen.sh (in unix) to start the process. How can I access the ENV variable in spoon when defining the job/transaction? Is it "Get variable"?

I think... there will be a way to use the variables content in "XML Input" by pressing Ctrl-Space, right?

Can I simulate the name in spoon by defining a"Set variable" to be able to test without having to restart spoon over and over?

Thanks for your help!

variables in PDI are not "environment variables" if you were in that assumption

For the moment you can use positional arguments to kitchen/pan and you can retrieve them with "get system info" step. There are alternatives like loading property files and setting its value with "set variable" step.

Regards,
    Sven

Default thanks, I will try that

thanks a lot! (thanks was too short )