Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Abnormal transformation exit

tarkawebfoot Guest

Default Abnormal transformation exit

Hi all. I'm very new to Pentaho, but I have some Business Objects DI experience. Forgive my newbieness.

I've got a pretty simple transform that's behaving very strangely. When I try to run it in Preview or just regular run, Spoon exits silently. There's no message in a log file or table I can find.

The transform is a text file input step to a database lookup, to a select rows, to a table input.

I have another transformation that goes from a text file input to select rows to a table input in it works just fine.

Any suggestions? If I need to post the transform, what's the best way to do that, just attach the XML file?

Brian

DEinspanjer Guest

I'd suggest trying to run the transformation from Pan to see if there is any console output that might be overlooked when Spoon exits.
    Otherwise, the transformation would be useful to see. Just gzip it first and then attach it to save space.

Default asdf

I've never had Kettle just exit, even with an error. I'd almost suspect you either have an old JRE installed, or some other OS/environment issue.

-Brian

Highly likely a problem in an ODBC driver.

tarkawebfoot Guest

Default RE: Abnormal transformation exit

Ok, so I checked my version of Java: 1.6. I removed the MS JDBC driver for SQL-Server and put jTDS1.2.2.jar in the Kettle root directory.

Result: no change. Still exits on the one transformation, and runs the other just fine.

Geez, I've avoided dealing with Java for all these years for exactly this reason, but I guess it's like death and taxes if you deal with anything but Microsoft.

Thanx for the input so far. Any other ideas?

Brian

tarkawebfoot Guest

Default Runing batch files

It was suggested that I try the transform with Pan to see if there's more output. When I try to run Pan, I get the same error I get when I try to run spoon from the batch file:

C:\Documents and Settings\dag033\PythonStuff\JoinSegments\splitsegments>"\program files\kettle\pan.bat" -level=Debug -rep=DVEL -user=admin -pass=admin -trans="Order Assigns" >> order_assigns.log
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/pentaho/di/pan/Pan

I wonder if they're related?

Brian

Geez, I've avoided dealing with Java for all these years for exactly this reason, but I guess it's like death and taxes if you deal with anything but Microsoft.
    You're trolling "tarkawebfoot". There is nothing wrong with Java on any platform at the moment. It's basically the only viable cross platform development solution.
    Problems like the one you mention are setup problems. It occurs rarely, but it happens usually because you mix 6 Java versions in stead of just Java 6 :-)

Matt

Default asdf

If you can, try running this from a non-windows operating system & see if there's a difference.

-Brian

Can you find a file (or some files) named hs_err_pid*.log ? This type of file is written if JVM crashes. It is not possible for Java application to detect a JVM crash, so Kettle is not able to show a message.
    The hs_err_pid*.log files contain information about what cause the JVM to terminate.

If one of us should reenact your error u should give all your ktr/kjb files and more information about your environment... if you really want help.

Greets,
    Christoph
    21 is only half the truth