Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Documentation and Wiki: suggestions and doubts

Default Documentation and Wiki: suggestions and doubts

Hi,
    I have just downloaded the last RC1.
    From the docs folder there's no reference to the wiki (I didn't see it). Only in welcome page there's a reference to Wiki.
    I think it should be good to advertise the existence of the wiki and put a README.txt (or in the existing README_FIRST.txt) file containing a link. And maybe the welcome page should display Wiki as first useful link.

I have some other questions (as PDI translator).
    What is the long-term strategy for translating PDI documentation?
    Will Wiki replace the old documentation?
    Will Wiki be only in english?
    I have seen that docs folder is structured into subfolder (one for each language). Why? What's the goal?
    In my opinion only the PDI interface should be translated in different languages. That's a reachable goal.
    The manual and other documentation should be only in english.
    The effort for translating is very big (beyond English, only French and Italian are full translated), and the rate of improvement and development of PDI is too quick. Keep them updated in other languages beyond english is an unreachable goal.
    I think all PDI users know english.

Thank you.
    Best regards
    Nico

As stated before, the documentation gets updated during the release candidates phase. (now)
    That makes sense since during RC, there is a feature freeze making it more convenient to update the docs.
    The old structure of documentation, including the sub-directories per language will obviously be removed now that most if not all of the doc is on the wiki.

We will most likely offer the HTML export of the documentation as a download in zip format since it's over 100MB in size now.

From the docs folder there's no reference to the wiki (I didn't see it). Only in welcome page there's a reference to Wiki.
    I think it should be good to advertise the existence of the wiki and put a README.txt (or in the existing README_FIRST.txt) file containing a link. And maybe the welcome page should display Wiki as first useful link.
    Sure, why not.

What is the long-term strategy for translating PDI documentation?
    There is none as I don't think we need one. If people or companies like to translate documentation we welcome it.

Will Wiki replace the old documentation?
    Obviously.

Will Wiki be only in english?
    Yes, but in the future I'm sure we will also find a way to translate that content.

I have seen that docs folder is structured into subfolder (one for each language). Why? What's the goal?
    That one seems rather obvious. However, as stated, these folders will not be there in 3.1.0 GA.

In my opinion only the PDI interface should be translated in different languages. That's a reachable goal.
    The manual and other documentation should be only in english.
    I don't think it's your call to make. We've had an instance a few years ago were the complete documentation set was translated by a professional company and donated back to Kettle. (Spanish IIRC)
    Why would you even want to block anyone from doing that?

The effort for translating is very big (beyond English, only French and Italian are full translated), and the rate of improvement and development of PDI is too quick. Keep them updated in other languages beyond english is an unreachable goal.
    Here are the stats for the Kettle codebase:

# 01 : en_US : 100,00% complete (9435)
    # 02 : it_IT : 100,00% complete (9435)
    # 03 : fr_FR : 99,95% complete (9430)...missing 5
    # 04 : es_AR : 64,32% complete (6069)...missing 3366
    # 05 : ko_KR : 60,84% complete (5740)...missing 3695
    # 06 : ja_JP : 56,61% complete (5341)...missing 4094
    # 07 : zh_CN : 53,22% complete (5021)...missing 4414
    # 08 : de_DE : 48,11% complete (4539)...missing 4896
    # 09 : es_ES : 40,84% complete (3853)...missing 5582
    # 10 : nl_NL : 15,18% complete (1432)...missing 8003
    # 11 : pt_BR : 13,11% complete (1237)...missing 8198
    # 12 : pt_PT : 13,10% complete (1236)...missing 8199

As you can see, a LOT of effort has been done. The nice thing is that all efforts count and help people in countries across the world.

I think all PDI users know english.
    You obviously haven't been around.

Matt

Thank you for your reply, Matt,
    That's clearer. So now Wiki should be considered the main place where to read most updated docs.
    Sure any contribution is welcome

Best regards.
    Nico