Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Just can't figure out how to use an excel file input

Unhappy Just can't figure out how to use an excel file input

I've searched and read the posts and the manual, but we're still struggling trying to use an excel spreadsheet as input to an oracle table. Our spreadsheet has 2 extra columns on it we want to ignore - just load the 30 columns that match between the spreadsheet and the table. A couple of the column names are not quite the same, either - but we'd like to just map that (ex. pay_period_date in spreadsheet = ppyd_date in table in the database). Anybody ever done this before? Would it be a DAta Normalizer or an Input map or what??? Any help greatly appreciated.

pretty easy.

just use excel input to get the data. presumably you can see the fields and preview data?

Then use "select values" to remove the fields from the stream you dont want, and to rename the columns as you describe.

Then simply table output to oracle. so 3 steps, nothing more??

Does that do what you need?

We can use excel input to se the fields and preview data, but where is "select values"?? We are using Kettle 2.2.2 - we can do edit step and then have FiLE, SHEET, CONTENT and FIELD tabs or we can do 'show output fields' and it shows fields and you can highllight a column set a filter to select where another screen comes up looking to build a where clause, but I'm still not finding the way to map the spreadsheet column to the oracle table column.

"Select values" is a separate step that existed even in 2.2.2.

look under transform to find the "select values" step..

Also; Curiosity, why such an ancient version of Kettle? I thought I was old working on 3.0.4!

I once did a performance test : "read a text file, sort it and write it back" and version 3.0 was something like 2000 times faster... that says a lot.

We have several transformations that run nicely in 2.2.2 - straight Oracle tables to flat files - didn't seem to be any reason to upgrade a working tool, plus we don't mess with the applications much, they've required little or no intervention as we run them via kitchen in chron jobs - it also seemed that the 'freeness' of newer versions was confusing. Are the new 'Pentaho' versions completely and absolutely free of charge, like these older versions of Kettle? Will older transformations require mods? Thanks for pointing me towards the Select Values thing - looks like we're getting somewhere, now.

Pentaho Data Integration (Kettle) was and is still published under the Lesser GNU Public License. There are no plans to change that.
    On the BI Server side we recently changed from Mozilla Public License to GPL for various sensible reasons in version 2.0, but even that has FOSS exceptions.

As such, I think you're seeing ghosts.