Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Wrong STARTDATE in log table(s)

Question Wrong STARTDATE in log table(s)

Hi,

why do some job and transformation log lines have STARTDATE 1th Jan 1900?
    I would expect the machine was not built at that time...

I have transformations running several times (with different parameters). The latest log lines have a STARTDATE which seems to be from the previous launch.
    Is this a bug? Or were is my fault?

Regards,
    Christoph
    21 is only half the truth

The columns LINES_UPDATED, LINES_INPUT and LINES_OUTPUT of the transformation log have also wrong values - in my case mixed values as nothing is updated just table input and output.
    The LINES_UPDATE are lines incoming, column LINES_INPUT are the outgoing lines and LINES_OUTPUT seems to be the updated lines.
    (I have specified the Table input/output steps at the logging tab of the transformation settings as "INPUT/OUTPUT log step".)

Christoph
    Last edited by christophWeißenborn; 11-10-2008 at 01:20 PM.

Samatar pointed to the correct answer:

START_DATE : the start-date of the date range that is calculated each time you run the transformation. This is the date range "since the last time the transformation ran correctly". It typically starts at -Inf (1900/0/01) and then goes to sysdate.
    END_DATE : the end-date of the date range that is calculated each time you run the transformation. This is the date range "since the last time the transformation ran correctly". It typically is sysdate at start-time of the transformation, but it could be different depending on the options in the logging tab of the Transformation Settings dialog.

For the "LINES_" values you have to pick which step to make it count for.

Matt

Hi Samatar and Matt,

ok, I understand STARTDATE in a different way - I would change it, but it is not important to me. Maybe someone else should share his opinion on that point.

But the LINES thing seems to be wrong!
    I add pictures with the log table content and my settings. You will see the difference with UPDATE_LINES: No update log step is specified, but some lines where updated. So there are columns mixed up (as I mentioned), aren't they?

Regards,
    Christoph
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by christophWeißenborn; 11-11-2008 at 06:59 AM.

I would change it as well Christoph, but then again, I would be breaking data integration implementations all over the place.

DEinspanjer Guest

What version of Kettle is this and what version of Kettle did you create the log tables with?

I remember seeing a problem a few versions back where the schema of the log tables was generated incorrectly, causing numbers to appear in the wrong columns.
    If you can, you might try dropping and regenerating the log tables.

It was a release candidate.
    The update problem is a database problem: we don't really know how many rows got updated as we don't get the information from the JDBC drivers. We only know how many input rows gave cause to an update statement.

To determine the correct number of updated lines may be one thing.
    But IMHO to write numbers into correct columns is another.
    I found PDI-1254 which tells that problem came in between build 543 and 569 (before 3.0.3 release).

Regards,
    Christoph
    Last edited by christophWeißenborn; 11-12-2008 at 06:58 AM. Reason: added link

I guess we'll fix it sooner or later :-)