Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Step Metrics Incorrect Order

Default Step Metrics Incorrect Order

Hi,

Has anybody had any issues with the step metrics content having the incorrect order for the individual steps in a transformation?

I am on 3.1.0

Cheers

DEinspanjer Guest

Do you mean the order of the rows? That order is fairly arbitrary. I believe it is actually based on the order of the elements in the XML or of the step meta rows in the repository.
    When I have a very linear or simple transformation, it makes me sad sometimes that I can't display it in that order, but for some of my very complex transformations I have no idea what the "best" ordering would be.

That said, it would be really nice to be able to sort the rows using the column headers and have that sorting stick past the next refresh. :/

yeah I am refering to the rows. If I create a relatively basic transformation i.e. it has a single start and end path with hops taking you to the next step it shows the step metrics rows in the same order as the flow in the transformation. I have noticed though that when I introduce new steps into the flow in the "middle" the step metrics adds the new steps in a random order.

Its not serious but it nice to see them in order, maybe thats just me

We used to sort the steps in the metrics grid a few years ago, but a transformation is actually a network, not an ordered set.
    As such, sorting the steps is actually surprisingly difficult in a generic fashion.

Thanks Matt, its not a biggy. I have been optimizing a transformation and as such running it repeatedly so I alsways check the step metrics for data which when in order its easier to monitor.

Anyhows all good, I must say kudus to the team for the CSV Input step, I am processing 1729 csv files (~340MB 7+ million rows) in about 70 seconds with a fair amount of logic and conversion. its really sweet.

Cheers
    Last edited by angusmiller; 11-12-2008 at 09:42 AM.