Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Write log to file from Java code

Default Write log to file from Java code

Greets.

Resuming my series of questions on Kettle and Java code, I have yet another inquiry :P

I'd like to write the Kettle log to a text file of my choice, but even though I've tried to understand the API and looked at the Kitchen source, I couldn't come up with a solution.

Would anyone care to enlighten me with an example, or point in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Even I am looking for something simillar. I am running the transforms from with in the Java code. I want to write logs to a specific file for each transform.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tdidomenico View Post
    Greets.

Resuming my series of questions on Kettle and Java code, I have yet another inquiry :P

I'd like to write the Kettle log to a text file of my choice, but even though I've tried to understand the API and looked at the Kitchen source, I couldn't come up with a solution.

Would anyone care to enlighten me with an example, or point in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
    It seems that Kettle uses Apache's LOG4J to output its trace. Have you looked at the Source code, specifically the Javadoc API? It should be your starting point.

My advice to you would be to look at that entry on Matt's blog on the topic of error handling:

http://www.ibridge.be/?p=32

I have tweaked my transformations to output to a text file. It works like a charm.

My suggestion is to modify your transformation using Matt's example and launch it with your Java wrapper. That should give you what you want.

Al.
    Last edited by acbonnemaison; 11-14-2008 at 12:42 PM.