Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Bug on "Save As"?

Default Bug on "Save As"?

I worked on an existing transformation (test.ktr). Then I do a Save As in Data Integration to a new file 'new.ktr'. Then I try to open this. The new.ktr will not open even though it's created.

Any idea why this behavior? Thx

Because a transformation with the same name is already loaded?

Hi Matt, the reason for "Save As" I thought was to allow me to make changes (or newer versions) for th transformation while the old file is being archived. There's 2 behavior I expect:

1. You create 'new.ktr' using "Save As" and the existing tab name becomes 'new.ktr'.

2. This is what's happening now. You do a "Save As" and the 'new.ktr' is created in file. The one in memory (i.e. the tab) reads 'test.ktr'. Because of that, it should allow you to do a File Open and load in 'new.ktr' to allow both to exist on the desktop.

DEinspanjer Guest

Spoon has a limitation that you cannot have two jobs or two transformations with exactly the same *name* loaded at the same time, regardless of what their filenames are.
    Use Ctrl-T to bring up the transformation properties dialog, and change the name of the transformation, then you can have them both loaded.

Definitions are important. If you have 2 files on disk, they are different. Call one "Test Development" and "Test UAT", whatever.
    Naming is always important and I personally think that the name of a transformation or job is one of the most important pieces of metadata you can assign.
    Doing the naming properly leads to easier development and maintenance.

Matt

DEinspanjer Guest

I agree with Matt about the importance of the trans name. I have also bumped into this issue a few times so I opened the following enhancement: http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-1863
    Vote for it if you agree.

I think I saw already something like this in the spoon code (as of 3.x) for some subscription customer.

Regards,
    Sven

DEinspanjer - This is exactly how it should be. Glad you open up an enhancement. Newbies like me expects things to work like Excel. A new filename = new file doing new things regardless of the metadata. In order to solve for both, prompting for a new properties would be the solution. Quite frankly I have never opened CTRL-T in spoon for any purpose... so this is not apparent to me.